Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: over exposed

DaveNZ

over exposed

Hi all,
    my sister shot my wedding on a Sony HandyCam DVD. it was a great sunny day and she didn't compensate for the light. so the result is bright outlines of people (probably enough detail to use) in the shot.

I don't have access to a good suite of editing software. Am I able to do this in the camera? does anyone know of a good download or some other way to fix it up?

cheers

Blog Entries

Re: over exposed

I can't think of any way to do this without editing equipment/software. Maybe someone else might have an idea but I doubt it. What you want to do requires processing the video signal somehow, and for that you need image editing/processing software.

If you're willing to pay money you might be able to get a professional to do it for you. If you want to do this but can't find anyone, let me know -- since we're in the same country I might be able to help.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks Dave,
    the output files from the video are .vob and .bup files. These are dvd files? However, programmes like Win Movie Maker - crude, I know, but it has a contrast feature on it - don't accept these programme formats?
    anyway around this?
    Cheers

Blog Entries

O dear, it just gets worse for you. I didn't pick up on that problem when I first read your message - I'm afraid that DVD cameras are not much use as far as editing goes. This has been a topic of discussion here before.

DVD was designed as a distribution format, not a recording format. DVD cameras are nice for simplicity but that's where their advantages end. It is theoretically possible to edit DVD footage but it's more difficult and has less satisfactory results.

What you could try doing is change the file extension of your files to .mpg and see if your editing programs accept them.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

from the fridge

can you get the video off a dvd camera and onto the computer via firewire instead of putting the disk into the dvd drive?

Thanks Dave and Fridge,
    yeah, the dvd files are frustrating. my sis doesn't really do editing so normally doesn't have probs. some editing software such as ulead has worked, but that was a 30 day trial and now it's over it won't let me install it again. -will try changing the extn's.
    Fridge, i've got the files on the pc ok, just trying to work with them that's the struggle.
    thanks.

from the fridge

are they as avi files or vob or whatever dvd is?

Hey Dave,
    just to wrap up this thread.
    I took your suggestion and changed the extension on the .vob .bup files to .mpg and then tried them in a couple of video editing software programmes and they worked.
    still, I wasn't able to get the picture improved too dramatically, but it was a help.
    anyway, thanks for your suggestion and help.

cheers.

Blog Entries

Oh well, it sounds like you did well considering what you had to work with. Shame it couldn't have worked out better but good effort!

Quote: from the fridge
    can you get the video off a dvd camera and onto the computer via firewire instead of putting the disk into the dvd drive?
    I spoke to a Sony representative a few days ago about this. He said all Sony DVD camcorders use USB and do not allow for capture in the same way as MiniDV. I can't confirm this myself but that's what he said.

His advice was to use a conversion program to rip the DVD files to AVI.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

from the fridge

Quote: Dave
    I spoke to a Sony representative a few days ago about this. He said all Sony DVD camcorders use USB and do not allow for capture in the same way as MiniDV. I can't confirm this myself but that's what he said.

His advice was to use a conversion program to rip the DVD files to AVI.
    well, i dont' think i'll be rushing out to get a dvd camcorder!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast