Equipment for DVD and client shoots

Hi, I appreciate the range your site offers. Lots of helpful information. I've reviewed quite a few threads and tutorials but still unclear on a few areas of concern.
    Looking to videotape some interviews (one client), and putting on DVD. These DVD's will be sold to other clients.
    Equipment I have:
    Canon GL1 (miniDV), lighting (Elinchromes-2), Premier Pro 1.5. I can shoot and upload via firewire, and do some editing in the timelines with the Adobe software. With Premier Pro I can export to DVD, and plan to install a DVD burner.
    Do I need a specialized videocard, like a Maxtor for this?
    With the GL1, it's more of an upper body shoot, and every wrinkle and vein stands out when hooked to an on-site TV. Intimidating for the client to see themselves like this. When I upload to the net, using .avi to Windows Media or RealPlayer, it's rendered and so the facial is not a concern. But to DVD, that's new to me. Is there a need for make-up (man do I want to avoid that!), or will it lose some image quality and avoid the need for make-up when exported to DVD? Any input welcomed. Chris

Blog Entries

Re: Equipment for DVD and client shoots

My thoughts...

I prefer not to show the interviewee a monitor during shooting, especially inexperienced subjects as they often get distracted by the monitor. I go for either a smaller monitor facing away from the subject, or no external monitor at all. Sometimes I use a small monitor fixed to the tripod so it looks like it can't be moved.

You won't need a specialized video card, but you might like to consider a specialized DVD authoring program. Premiere does an okay job of recording to DVD as long as you don't need menus. However if you do want a title menu, you'll need something like Encore DVD.

Technically speaking there will be a quality drop going to DVD but not enough to make a huge difference.

Whether or not you use makeup is up to you. For most casual IVs I don't think it's necessary, but if you want the very best quality it's hard to ignore the value of makeup.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries

Only as a suggestion and only if it's possible - do a test shoot, 2 or 3 minutes worth with the lights & mic. Create a DVD and make your decision whether or not your subject needs it.

Imho, it's a poor decision to go blindly into something you're not sure of when you're depending on it as a future selling point. If it's a presentation of any kind, I say go all out to make it right the first time around - bend over backwards, go out of your way etc.

If you do it right you'll be like this if not you'll be doing this
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Dave and SC, Thanks for the input. Will put it to practice. Chris