Thread: Dr Phil

Blog Entries

Dr Phil

Dr Phil is the best thing to happen to television in years, and one of the best things to happen to society in general.

I think TV programs with a positive social impact should get tax breaks. It should be more attractive to make programs like Dr Phil and some of those "Super Nanny" programs that provide parenting tips.

My partner loves Dr Phil and often talks about the issues raised with other mothers at their coffee groups. All good

Personally I'd like to see programs at the other end of the usefulness scale (e.g. Jerry Springer) get penalized, but I can't see a practical way to do that. Shame really.

Kudos Dr Phil, long may your program thrive.

[EDIT:] This post was written back in 2006. Since then my opinion of Dr Phil has changed. Obviously though, I do still like the idea of programs designed to help people.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

A good learning tool , the J.S. show

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Generally I don't watch Jerry Springer, but one week when I was caught with a television that had only TWO channels, I had the choice of cartoons or Jerry Springer.

I opted for Jerry Springer.

The outcome of my choice was quite interesting.
    I believe that EVERYTHING and EVeryone has it's or their purpose, sometimes purposes that we do not see in our initial viewing.

When I began watching the JErry Springer show then, I "SAW" the show in a different light, with a different mind-set.

Here's what I mean:

We are all different with different levels of trust. The Jerry Springer show is quite useful as a TEACHING tool for young people, tourists and anyone else who has not been that exposed to the world.

One can watch the show and Learn these things:

• Do not trust everyone you see.
    • People aren't always what they "appear" to be.
    • Sometimes if you have a boyfriend or girlfriend, just because you are exclusive, doesn't mean they are; so be observant and aware.
    • The world is full of different kinds of people, and some people will do ANYTHING to get on television or in the movies.
    • BE very careful in your relationships.
    • Do NOT fight over someone on television; if you want to break up with someone ; do it in private.
    • All tv shows are different , different outcomes, different purposes and you can learn from all of them even from the horrible ones.
    • You can turn ANYTHING around and make it into a good learning tool .
    • That's all for now, Just an opinion

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quote: Dave
    View Post
    Dr Phil is the best thing to happen to television in years, and one of the best things to happen to society in general.

I think TV programs with a positive social impact should get tax breaks. It should be more attractive to make programs like Dr Phil and some of those "Super Nanny" programs that provide parenting tips.

My partner loves Dr Phil and often talks about the issues raised with other mothers at their coffee groups. All good

Personally I'd like to see programs at the other end of the usefulness scale (e.g. Jerry Springer) get penalized, but I can't see a practical way to do that. Shame really.

Kudos Dr Phil, long may your program thrive.