Hooking up more speakers

I first want to thankyou for this awesome website. I hope it will be here to stay. You all are making a great impact on sound engineers world wide. I have a question about hooking up more speakers to my mixing console. I like to use mono or bridge whenever I do sound. This is my preference. But I am confused on how to hook-up 4 or more speakers. I have now hooked up of course two speakers that plug in to my amp. But if I want to hook up another 2 or 4 speakers to the same mixing board with out using stereo how would this be done, especially if I am using the 4 subgroups to make it easier to control all of my mics with one knob in mono for subgroups 1-2 and then controlling my instruments with one knob on 3-4 subgroups. These are the only 4-subgroups I have on my mixing board. Of course by me using mono. Those channels now become only 2-channels. I don't have another ouput to hook up more speakers to another amp. How do sound engineers doing big events hook up all those speakers say 4 or more to the same mixing board. I'm just wondering if there is a simpler way without having to buy another mixing board or console. But if there is no other way--then of course--I will.

Blog Entries

Re: Hooking up more speakers

Hello gsmdjtony,

I too think this is a great site, however this could not be possible without the Owen brothers who created this. This forum is worldwide so I never thought about it's impact but only to a small and limited users - it's just sound advice aaaccckkkk.... bad pun, bad pun.

Anyway back to your question at hand. You can't hear a particular sub-group unless there was access to it. But usually boards have a limited access to it, such as SOLO or a MIX-MINUS output and the like. In truth, all those outputs are possible because the audio board makes it possible.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Jon Wolske

Re: Hooking up more speakers

Without switching your amp to stereo, there is no safe way to hook up more speakers, sorry... Most power amps offer a higher resitance on the output stage when used in bridged (mono) mode, so you can only use two 8ohm speakers (if the amp allows a 4 ohm minimum load on the bridged output), however, each channel should also offer the 4 ohm load, so by using both sides of the amplifier, you could double the number of speakers (4) that are hooked up to the single amp. As for the link, most power amplifiers should have a function that links the input, or a second jack that is wired in parallel, so all you have to do is run a small cable between the mono iput that you are currently using and the second channel. Most Large sound venues use system processors, a unit that splits the signal to any number of outputs and configurations (depending on the specific unit's features), so they run their stereo output into the processor, and it splits the signal into Low, Mid, High, (however they have it configured), then from that they run each output to a seperate amp.

You should be able to increase the overall level by adding speakers (more air movement = more sound), so a second amp should not be necessary, you just need to use both of the amps channels to do so. ( there are plenty of debates over power vs speakers.... What I have found is that a 500 watt amp (per side) pushing two speakers will not produce as much overall sound as a 300 watt amp (per side) driving 4 speakers, but then you get into actual power output (the 500 watt amp is facing more resistance) and room coveridge (if you have more angles covered by the speakers, less volume will be necessary to acheive the desired overall level).. just my thoughts. I don't blame you for running mono, unless you have dazzling stereo image effects going on, you just need mono...... knowing what kind of amp you are using would help as well...

I'm thinking that your board should have auxillery busses you could use as mono outputs to another amp. Also if you have all your channels panned center you are feeding the same signal to all 4 subgroups, whichever are assigned 1-2 feed both knobs (or faders) 1 and 2, whichever are assigned 3-4 feed both 3 and 4, so you should be getting 1 and 3 as one mix, and 2 and 4 as an identical mix, which can feed another amp. Just treat the stereo mix as two mono mixes sent to two amps. Real stereo only happens when you pan left and right. I do this all the time for TV broadcast, and I provide feeds for multiple destinations, which could easily be many mono speaker arrays. You just need more amps, but if I read your question right your are not utilizing all your boards capabilities. Exactly what board do you have, if you would be so kind?
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

more info

most large-scale concerts that are using multiple speaker arrays have System Processors or System Controllers, that act as many things (EQ, Time DElay, Crossovers...) the signal from the FOH position is split from being 2 (L&R) inputs to as many as 8 (2 Low, 2 Low Mid, 2 High mid,2 High) outputs which go to huge racks of power amps which are daisy chained ( most inputs on power amps will give you the option of patching a second amp from the input (if the input is or has a selection for parallel).
    THe easy way to take a mono signal from the board to an amp and into a secondary amp would be to daisy chain the amps.

Using your groups for ease of control is great, that's what they are there for (mostly used this way for live sound applications), but as pennies said, he does broadcast work, and that audio is a different world, utilizing the options of the mixer for a lot of things that live sound engineers wouldn't.
    again if you could supply us with the make/model of your mixer and amp, we'd really be able to nip this in the butt