sound from pc live to pa

hey all. this is my first post, hopefully someone can help. i have a show this upcoming wendsday and here is my problem.

i use a pc in conjuction with live instumentation and effects to produce my brand of music. the problem i'm having is that the pc sounds like crap when it runs through a pa. is this because the signal is too hot? i know this is a vauge question, i guess i'm wondering if there is a blanket way to send sound from my pc via the headphone jack (it's a cheap laptop) and not have interference and noise problems. if anyone has any insight into this topic, i'd be greatly appreciative.

thanks again
    asperse

Blog Entries

Re: sound from pc live to pa

It always helps to qualify what you mean by "crap". There are many flavours of crap which are caused by different problems. For example, distortion is a very different problem to induced hum.

My best guess is that the signal is indeed too high for the mixer input. My first plan would be to drop the sound level on the laptop and see what happens.

If it doesn't work, can you tell us a bit more about the settings on the laptop and the PA mixer? EG what level of input gain are you using? Any padding?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Re: sound from pc live to pa

i had the same problem, but i had a rolls PM50s personal monitor amp that runs on a 9 volt adaptor. i took the line from the PC to the PM50s and then to the PA, here's the secret , don't plug in the power supply to PM50s use it unpowered, worked like a charm. you can get them at music stores for about $40.