Video Feeds On Webpages. Need Help

hey guys. well i got a video feed, pretty much the code from the site.
    I want to stop people from downloading the video to there hard-drive ( the whole point of me using video feeds )
    they are looking at my source code, finding the link to where the video file is it, and directly downloading it to there hard drive.

does anyone know how to stop this? what code i need to use.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Re: Video Feeds On Webpages. Need Help

Unfortunately you can't stop people downloading your files with HTTP streaming. By it's very nature this method uses downloading to deliver the content. It's like web page images - if they can see it they have already downloaded it.

The only way to protect your files is to use a true streaming server, which is more complex and expensive. You also need to realise that if people are really determined to steal your video they can always use a screen capture utility, so there's no way to protect yourself 100%.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dave,

So what is all the talk about Digital Rights Management (DRM) and Content Delivery Networks (CDN) do they not have the technology to protect ones video (if one can afford these services) or am I off the beaten track all together?

Copperman.

Blog Entries

I am not aware of anything which prevents a screen capture but I do stand to be corrected. I would be keen to investigate any service which claims to be able to do this.

It's a bit of a tricky issue - if I announce that I'm going to try and capture protected work then I'm opening myself up for trouble. Let's say that if someone pointed me at a streaming video service that claims to be able to prevent screen capture, I could try to capture it for the sake of testing if I was so inclined. All purely hypothetical of course.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com