Blog Entries

Watching TV is risky and expensive

By "risky and expensive" I mean you risk wasting a lot of time (and therefore money) which could be saved with a little planning. Let me explain...

There is a thing I call the "Twin Peaks Syndrome". This is where a television series with a central mystery becomes so long and drawn-out that by the time the mystery is finally solved there are no viewers left to care. When the series Twin Peaks first hit our screens (many years ago) it was hugely popular, but no-one I know saw it through to the end and the series ended its days in a death slot after midnight.

Similar things have happened many times since, with various causes and effects. Earth: Final Conflict enraged fans by turning into a completely different program in a miserable attempt to boost ratings. Lost has become lost trying to find its own plot. Many programs are cancelled at the end of a season without any realistic attempt to finish the story.

I have decided that watching any new series with a long-term plot is too risky. The chances are too high that the program will be cancelled without any resolution, or run for so long that I will need a medium to tell me the outcome.

Here's what I have decided to do...

From now on I will not watch any new series which looks risky. Instead I will wait until the series is finished or has been going long enough to give me confidence. I will read reviews but avoid spoilers (it's not that hard - I still don't really know what The Sopranos is about).

Then I will buy the whole series on DVD and watch it in my own time. Sound expensive? It's not - I've done the sums (using NZ dollars):

A 24-episode season will include around 6 hours of advertisements. If I charge my time at a conservative $20 per hour, I will save myself $120 in productivity - much more than the cost of buying a season's worth of DVDs. In addition, I will eliminate the huge number of wasted hours watching programs which end up going nowhere.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Watch less TV………..Why not create your own TV…..that is the solution. If you can monetize it as well like you have done here with MediaCollege, then you will save money and make money. Many people can now create their own exciting video Social Networking Communities.
    A US based company is gearing up to launch a full Video Social Networking Community with:

• Video Blogging
    • Live Video Chat
    • Video E-mail
    • Live Video Broadcasting
    • Pay-Per-View Video Broadcasting
    • Video-Casting to iPods
    • And so much more!

By the end of the year, you may even be able to also post videos to your site from your cell phone?
    Imagine being able to post videos onto your own webpage and within seconds all of your friends are notified. You will literally have your own TV channel on the Internet! Millions of people around the world, like you, will post and share their videos with friends and family members. Millions!

Quote: Dave
    View Post
    By "risky and expensive" I mean you risk wasting a lot of time (and therefore money) which could be saved with a little planning. Let me explain...

There is a thing I call the "Twin Peaks Syndrome". This is where a television series with a central mystery becomes so long and drawn-out that by the time the mystery is finally solved there are no viewers left to care. When the series Twin Peaks first hit our screens (many years ago) it was hugely popular, but no-one I know saw it through to the end and the series ended it's days in a death slot after midnight.

Similar things have happened many times since, with various causes and effects. Earth: Final Conflict enraged fans by turning into a completely different program in a miserable attempt to boost ratings. Lost has become lost trying to find it's own plot. Many programs are cancelled at the end of a season without any realistic attempt to finish the story.

I have decided that watching any new series with a long-term plot is too risky. The chances are too high that the program will be cancelled without any resolution, or run for so long that I will need a medium to tell me the outcome.

Here's what I have decided to do...

From now on I will not watch any new series which looks risky. Instead I will wait until the series is finished or has been going long enough to give me confidence. I will read reviews but avoid spoilers (it's not that hard - I still don't really know what The Sopranos is about).

Then I will buy the whole series on DVD and watch it in my own time. Sound expensive? It's not - I've done the sums (using NZ dollars):

A 24-episode season will include around 6 hours of advertisements. If I charge my time at a conservative $20 per hour, I will save myself $120 in productivity - much more than the cost of buying a season's worth of DVDs. In addition, I will eliminate the huge number of wasted hours watching programs which end up going nowhere.
    You’re right! To watch TV a lot is not good idea! It’s In vain waste time! That’s why I watch only “CSI: Miami”. It relaxes me. And I learn a lot by this serial!

What you said is very reasonable, but I think we shouldn't regard everything serious. Watching TV can also makes us relax, don't be negative

buuut it's a write off so...