Decent Video Monitor?

I'm looking to purchase (probably used) a decent 10"/13" color video monitor for location/studio shooting. This will be connected to the camera so I don't have to rely on that little 2.5" LCD anymore. Anyone have any suggestions? Here're the requirements:

- Must have internal sync or external sync through BNC
    - Blue gun only switching for calibration
    - Chroma and phase adjust
    - Be able to accept at least one of the following inputs (in order of my preference):
    1. Y U(B-Y) V(R-Y) BNCs
    2. Firewire
    3. S-video
    4. Composite (RCA)

My price range is ~$300 US. TIA!

WOW!!!

I know about #2, #3 and #4 but the rest is greek. I would pay $300 for all this (although I suspect we are talking more then $1,000) with out even knowing the greek!!!

Could some one possibley explain some of this???
    ----------------------------------------------------
    - Be able to accept at least one of the following inputs (in order of my preference):
    1. Y U(B-Y) V(R-Y) BNCs
    2. Firewire
    3. S-video
    4. Composite (RCA)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Why is all this nessecery?? Why not just an RF connector?
    Last edited by rubrick2006; 20th May 2006 at 18:04.

Blog Entries
    Sorry I can't recommend a particular model - it's a bit hard being on the other side of the world.

Quote: rubrick2006
    Could some one possibley explain some of this???
    Professional video devices often use a synch reference, which is a special type of signal used to keep a video display stable and synchronise different devices together. In a studio situation it is common to have a "synch pulse generator" (SPG) which provides a synch pulse signal for all devices. These devices need an external synch input to accept this signal.

Pro CRT monitors have the ability to turn individual electron guns on and off (red, green and blue). This helps with calibration.

This is to do with video signal timing. Video signals have a "chroma phase" which controls colours and a "horizontal phase" which provides crucial timing information for the video signal.

1. Y U(B-Y) V(R-Y) BNCs = Component video, a high-quality video signal which is divided into three components.
    2. Firewire = A common type of digital video video signal
    3. S-video = An older but still good-quality analogue video signal which is split between luminance and chrominance (colour)
    4. Composite (RCA) = The old standard analogue video signal

We have a few notes about video timing (synch pulse, chroma phase, etc) here. It's reasonably complex stuff - I actually want to do a proper video tutorial on this topic some time this year.

Quote: rubrick2006
    Why is all this nessecery?? Why not just an RF connector?
    Lots of reasons which can be over-simplified and summed up in one word: Quality.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com