Upskilling film producer to multimedia producer

Top marks Media College! Stumbled across your website while trawling for information on multimedia, it appears you may be of assistance.

I have been a film and television producer for 20 years and feel the need for reinvention / rejuvenation and general upskilling in the future of global media.
    As multimedia plays an ever increasing role in advertising and general production it is imperative that old school producers and directors such as myself keep up with IT input.

My question is what study/knowledge/experience is required to make the transition from film and television producer to multimedia producer? Any feedback or leads will be appreciated.

Best regards
    Jerry Attrick

Blog Entries

Re: Upskilling film producer to multimedia producer

Welcome Jerry,
    Wow you've got a lot know-how under your belt. I hope you can find the time to help others who also who seek experiences and knowledge that you've already accumulated.

This is just a feedback/opinion to your question. Multimedia is just another format that uses different tools to tell the same story and maybe the scale of it is different. You already know the in's & out's of producing for film/tv. You still need those values but now your post-production may change slightly but your distribution becomes a horse of another breed and color.

Are you looking to pursue the technical knowledge to be in control of distribution or do you want the understanding so that you can fulfill the technical need FOR distribution? ....and you're never too old to learn!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thanks SC358, the answer is both fields. Need to look at all options. Whilst it may be an arduous task to tackle all facets, it is imperative to actually comprehend what the big picture is. From that viewpoint a path can then be chosen and the ballance delegated.

Rgards
    Jerry

Blog Entries

Hi Jerry from a fellow Kiwi. Welcome to this forum and thanks for your comments about the site

There does seem to be quite a gap opening between many industry professionals and the "new world" of IT-based multimedia. I'm often surprised talking to colleagues who have lost touch with what's going on outside their own immediate field. A good example happened a few months ago when a very experienced and competent camera operator I know got his hands on a Sony XDCam - he got very excited telling me about how it had an LCD screen which could flip over so you could see it when shooting your own piece-to-camera. He obviously thought this was a technological breakthrough reserved for top-of-the line cameras. I had a hard time breaking the news that this feature has been on cheap consumer cameras for years.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a good idea to get involved with the amateur world because there's a lot going on there. I've been humbled by the knowledge I've found in some amateur forums. To be honest I was even surprised at the breadth of knowledge at our local amateur video club.

As for moving into the world of multimedia, some important areas to study up on could include:
    - Basic web design, i.e. how web pages work, basic HTML, etc. This is something which is surprisingly useful.
    - Common web delivery formats, e.g. Windows Media, Quicktime and Flash.
    - How streaming works.
    - The DVD format, DVD authoring.
    - What podcasting is all about.
    - Planning video to be compatible with different formats, from HD to podcasts.

There's a lot more but that's a few things off the top of my head.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com