Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Studio

Re: Home Studio

Hey
    Ok i've been doing some research and i've come to the conclusion that id prefer to keep my pc out of this. I think id prefer a more "what it sound like" approach, if you know what i mean.

Anyway, this is what im thinking.

Record to a 8 track recorder (probally digital) then the tracks go to a mixer for mastering (i think ) and thats it i think.

So is that possible? Also how are the mixer and recorder connected?

Last thing, after the tracks have been mastered does the track go back to the recorder were it can be saved to tape, cd or just some format of saving files.

Thanx

p.s.

Sorry if i am making no sense or im posting the same thing again and again but as i said, im new to this world.

Blog Entries

Re: Home Studio

Quote: cyntax
    Maybe media college should have a basic mixer tutorial somewhere?
    This has been on my to-do list for ages. I'll get onto it as soon as I can. Honestly
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

ddp

Recording studio owner

Reading your posts I think you're best to spend 5 bucks on Home Recording magazine or checking out Tapeop.com or mixonline.com (probably too advanced but its online and it's free). No offense but sounds like you need to invest a little time getting some "schooling".

Hey,
    While we're on the subject of cross promoting (wasn't sure if it's ok!) but in my newbified state I found a lot of good info at Tweakheadz Lab. Check out The Guide http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm You can jump straight to the bit about mixers. I think I'm getting the hang of it but all I've bought so far is some stands and 1 mic. Waiting for the right class of mixer to come up on eBay before I can actually record anything

Blog Entries
    I've also being doing some work on mixer tutorials here. It's a bit random but it's a start.

I'm planning on doing some better mixer tutorials later this year, when our consoles at work are due to be replaced. I'll redo all the diagrams, get better photos and include information about digital mixing.

The photos I used in the tutorials are of our current OB sound mixer. I never really noticed what a state the mixer was in until I had to take close-up photos. Yuck
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

ez beggining mixer- alesis multimix 8 usb (or firewire is better)

ez beggining mics- at2041sp, its a pack that has 2 condensers, a large diaphram (vocals) n a small high-spf (instruments)

ez beggining editor- cubase, the light edition comes with the alesis mixer, has some ez vsts to learn how to edit sound

next, get some cheap headphones n some atleast ok moniters, i would reccomend rp-8s from rocket but if u dont have the money juz go m-audio

that will get ur sound in

after that

ez mastering- get ozone izotope (300)

itll teach u how to master basically

but if u no wat ur doing

soundforge is proness

thats it basically, 150 for the mixer, 150 for the mics, 100 for the headphones, 300 for moniters, and 300 for mastering

cheap, ez, n efficient

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12