Website with multiple simultaneous streaming video and playback features

Hello,
    I am currently in the design process for creating an ajax based website. I have designed, developed, and maintained various websites before but never with streaming media. Right now my main problem is figuring out the best way to handle the streaming media. There will be n users/customers/clients and each will have their own group/set of videos both saved and live feeds. They will have the ability to view n numbers of live or saved feeds simultaneously from 1 to lets say 32 for now. For the saved feeds they will have playback features such as rewind, ff, stop, etc. Also the video size should change depending on how many feeds they are viewing at a time i.e. one camera should take up the entire camera section while 6 would be reduced to show 6 in the same camera section. What would be the best way to handle all of this? I dont have much experience with streaming video (almost nil) but I understand the basics of how it works and have experiemented with live streaming video with smil but that was about 2 years ago. However the video feeds will be different for each user/customer/client since they will have their own set of cameras at some remote location that will stream to our server then from our server to their remote computers when they logon to the server.

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    Wow. That's quite a brief you're working with there. Wheweee. Boy o boy.

I've been thinking about it for a couple of days and it still blows my lights. I'm afraid there's no way I'm going to be able to give you much specific advice, simply because the requirements are so intense.

I guess there are two main approaches I can think of:

(1) Use Flash. This would give you the best options for multiple screens, resizing, etc. It would also be the most robust solution IMO.

(2) Use a system of frames, each with their own streaming player. This plan is not for the faint-hearted - the complexity would be a thing to behold.

To be honest I think taking on this sort of project is unrealistic for someone new to streaming. You should probably be looking for a professional to help. If you really want to do it yourself, I would strongly recommend starting with something much more simple and gradually work your way up.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hello,

Well I have been thinking about it as well and came up with a solution. We have a computer programmer who is experienced with streaming video will create an underlying java based server and client end. I will then work with him to create a java/javascript api and use the java client to get the streaming video from the server. I will then have the ajax website communicate with the java client on the user's local machine to retrieve the streaming video and handle the playback functions. How does that sound to you?

Blog Entries
    I'm no Ajax guru but it sounds like you have a plan that will work. Java is good . To be honest I think your Java programmer will be able to give you better advice in this case than I can.

It sounds like an exciting project, I hope it goes well.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com