Derek B

Live Streaming Video

I have a question about live streaming video. Here is what I need to do:

I need the ability for a user to be able to take their laptop and webcam to any broadband connection and be able to live stream to a certain portion of a website that will be dedicated to them. The ability is needed for thousands of streaming video that will be broadcasted to an unlimited number of viewers of those streaming videos. only one view would see one streaming video at once but the ability is to be able for any person to be able to choose from these thousand live streaming webcams and plug right in and start watching the streaming video.

I know this won't be cheap and I know a special server will be need. I have done some research on this site and came up with the "Macromedia Flash Media Server 2". but from what i can see, that looks like actual software and not a 'server'.. so am i right in assuming that this software would be installed on any server to turn it into a streaming communications server?

Also, would the people streaming the video to the webserver need any special software? or could this be done by them logging into a page and the flash SWF or flash FLV reads the users camera to grab the images?

any info is greatly appreciated!

Blog Entries
    Flash sounds like a good choice. You are right about the server software and I'm sure it runs on most common server platforms.

I don't think any special software would be required by the users. Flash has pretty good support for webcams and you can use the Flash Media Server for all sorts of interactive video stuff like chat and conferencing.

Without more though and research I can't tell you the whole process required for your application but I'm confident Flash will handle it. Of course it will take a fairly skilled Flash developer to put it all together.

One thing I would check out ASAP is the licencing costs. The last time I checked, large-scale licences were frighteningly expensive.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Let me see if I undersatnd what you want.
    You want to stream live to one person at a time, but to have hundreds of viewers accessing multiple, but simultaneous streams.
    Question: After the live event, do you want the archived material available for anyone to go back and view it on-demand?
    You need a stream server and you want to use Flash.

Questions: Would you be interested in a package where EVERYTHING else has been done for you and all you have to add is add the content?
    What if it doesn't cost you "an arm and a leg". And it is upgraded and revamped as the technology improves.

If this is what you are looking for or remotley close, check out this site: http://www.helloworld.com/US/Tour_Start.aspx?ID=c-bron
    Select "your country of residence" or choose the closest one ( I am in the US).

Answers: Our live accounts start at US$40/per month (no contracts) for 3 simultaneous viewers. If you want maultiple separate streams, you may need several US$40 accounts. Will you be charging for these views? If so we have a pay-per-view option.

Answers: The viewers do not need to have any software. They don't even need to know what media player they have on their computer, or what speed their computer connects to the internet at. Our system takes care of these.

-----------
    Additional information

If you want to be able to post your videos (and other digital media) online and your community of clients/friends/family are instantly notified and can go and see it online, we are in the pre-launch phase of a video based social networking site that may suit your needs. Free pre-launch registration. Check out http://www.beseencafe.com/donnwose

To learn more about our company, click on my signature below.
    I hope this helps. By the way, your video will be automatically transcoded so that it is available in all formats and at multiple bit rates.
    By the end of the year, you will be able to post video to your website from your cell/mobile phone.

If this what you are looking for, follow the links.
    Thanks,
    Last edited by copperman; 30th Apr 2006 at 07:32.

Carl Brown

Limelight Networks

Sir plse give me a call llnw is a cdn that I think can handle your needs however before I start quoting prices and our telling you what we can or will do I think it would make sense for us to have a conversation to see exactly what your needs and expectations are, however plse check us out on the web www.llnw.com, give me a call we will help
    Quote: Derek B
    I have a question about live streaming video. Here is what I need to do:

I need the ability for a user to be able to take their laptop and webcam to any broadband connection and be able to live stream to a certain portion of a website that will be dedicated to them. The ability is needed for thousands of streaming video that will be broadcasted to an unlimited number of viewers of those streaming videos. only one view would see one streaming video at once but the ability is to be able for any person to be able to choose from these thousand live streaming webcams and plug right in and start watching the streaming video.

I know this won't be cheap and I know a special server will be need. I have done some research on this site and came up with the "Macromedia Flash Media Server 2". but from what i can see, that looks like actual software and not a 'server'.. so am i right in assuming that this software would be installed on any server to turn it into a streaming communications server?

Also, would the people streaming the video to the webserver need any special software? or could this be done by them logging into a page and the flash SWF or flash FLV reads the users camera to grab the images?

any info is greatly appreciated!