Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for telling me about the download link. It's not working because I hadn't thought to check how the download link would work when the playlist uses absolute URLs (as in your case). I've devised a solution which checks for absolute URLs so hopefully the next release will fix the problem.

I've been working on the forced download issue. I've got it working but there are still a few things to sort out. When finished it should work the same with all supported file types.

I'll try to answer your other questions ASAP but I'm afraid I've been spending too much time on this project recently and I'm in danger of not paying my bills unless I get back to some other work .
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    I have uploaded v1.042 to the download page.

This version changes the download link from a simple hyperlink URL to a forced-download system. It appears to be working but forced downloads are a little more temperamental than simple URLs, so I'd appreciate any feedback on how well it works.

The download link should support absolute URLs now.

This version also includes Hurry's request to synch the dfile with the playlist when it first loads.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries

Regarding Feature Requests

One thing I should point out is that every new feature adds weight (file size) to the player. It's already quite weighty at 105KB and I'm wary of adding more features unless they are very popular. From now on I'm likely to give higher priority to features requested by a lot of people. I'll also take more notice of those who show me where they use the player (to prevent people from posting duplicate requests).

I have included a list of features under consideration on the status page. I will also go through this forum and have a look for all the previously-requested features and update the list when I get time.

Hurry, here are my quick thoughts on your other requests....

"Automatically play clips in sequence" option only for specific folders
    A possibility. I am considering ways to add variables to specific folders for things like play in sequence, download links, etc. Could be a way off though.

Horizontal autoscroll when we expand deeper levels of subfolders
    This will be very difficult. I don't know if it's even possible. I'm aware that the horizontal scroll is sometimes problematic and I do want to address the issue.

An option to reduce the left indent space difference between the main folder and subfolder names.
    Again, difficult. The playlist uses a Flash component which can't really be adjusted much. When I get time I will re-write the playlist so it doesn't use a component, which will make options like this possible.

Be able to give an url which will open the player and directly play a particular media file.
    Yes, I do want to add this feature. I haven't looked into it yet but hopefully it will happen. One issue is that Flash is strict on cross-domain security so I don't think you'll ever be able to just enter a URL from someone else's domain. I'll investigate further when I get time.

A RSS feed for the new additions to the playlist
    Good idea. Not sure of the best way to implement this but it's worth thinking about.

An option to zoom in and zoom out for photos.
    A possibility. Main issue is that the display screen will need to be movable, since zooming without any lateral movement is just frustrating. I'll have to see how much weight this would add to the player.

An option to resize the width of the playlist panel.
    Definitely something I want to do. This is reasonably high on the priority list.

Search option for folder and file names and descriptions.
    On the list, but could be weighty for a rarely-used feature. One possibility is to create a separate search plugin for those that want it. I think a search is a good idea and I'll look into it.

An option to set background music
    I'll think about this one.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

File not found

Quote: Dave
    This version changes the download link from a simple hyperlink URL to a forced-download system. It appears to be working but forced downloads are a little more temperamental than simple URLs, so I'd appreciate any feedback on how well it works. The download link should support absolute URLs now.
    When I click on the download link, it gives me the error File not found, even though the file is playing in the player. You can try it for the default file which starts playing when the player loads at http://naam-yoga.org/delme0.html or any other file.

This version also includes Hurry's request to synch the dfile with the playlist when it first loads.
    Yes, this works nicely. Is really cool. Thanks so much.

Requests

One thing I should point out is that every new feature adds weight (file size) to the player. It's already quite weighty at 105KB and I'm wary of adding more features unless they are very popular. From now on I'm likely to give higher priority to features requested by a lot of people. I'll also take more notice of those who show me where they use the player (to prevent people from posting duplicate requests).
    Thanks. My view is that now since broadband is becoming so all-pervasive, a little increase in size should not be such a worry especially since 105 kb is even less then a reasonable quality photograph.

I have included a list of features under consideration on the status page. I will also go through this forum and have a look for all the previously-requested features and update the list when I get time.
    I saw this. Thanks again.

"Automatically play clips in sequence" option only for specific folders
    A possibility. I am considering ways to add variables to specific folders for things like play in sequence, download links, etc. Could be a way off though.
    No problem, will wait for it.

Horizontal autoscroll when we expand deeper levels of subfolders
    This will be very difficult. I don't know if it's even possible. I'm aware that the horizontal scroll is sometimes problematic and I do want to address the issue.
    Yes, I hope something is possible for this.

An option to reduce the left indent space difference between the main folder and subfolder names.
    Again, difficult. The playlist uses a Flash component which can't really be adjusted much. When I get time I will re-write the playlist so it doesn't use a component, which will make options like this possible.
    Thankyou.

Be able to give an url which will open the player and directly play a particular media file.
    Yes, I do want to add this feature. I haven't looked into it yet but hopefully it will happen. One issue is that Flash is strict on cross-domain security so I don't think you'll ever be able to just enter a URL from someone else's domain. I'll investigate further when I get time.
    This feature is quite important as it will save us from making a separate page for each new uploaded media file. Also when the RSS feed is created for the new additions to the playlist file, then hyperlinks to each new item in the RSS feed can directly open that file in the MC Media Player and sync it with the playlist window if this feature is enabled. So it will work nicely hand-in-hand with the RSS feed feature.

I think it should work even for cross-domains. I will give two examples. Both have flash frontends but still we can directly go to a page in the flash frontend:
    http://www.gaurangapada.net/video/pr...x.html?slide=6
    http://store.gaurangapada.com/index.php?product=44

Both these above links work with cross-domain I think. It would be so great is this feature can work with syncing it with the playlist window like you did for the default file.

A RSS feed for the new additions to the playlist
    Good idea. Not sure of the best way to implement this but it's worth thinking about.
    It will so cool if this can be added. Thanks.

An option to zoom in and zoom out for photos.
    A possibility. Main issue is that the display screen will need to be movable, since zooming without any lateral movement is just frustrating. I'll have to see how much weight this would add to the player.
    Ok, thanks again.

An option to resize the width of the playlist panel.
    Definitely something I want to do. This is reasonably high on the priority list.
    Thanks so much for this.

Search option for folder and file names and descriptions.
    On the list, but could be weighty for a rarely-used feature. One possibility is to create a separate search plugin for those that want it. I think a search is a good idea and I'll look into it.
    It is so much required especially when the playlist is big i.e. when we want to put the full media library in one playlist which I plan to do. I plan to have almost 2000 videos online by the year end and would like to have them in the same MC Media player. Also if possible, we can put the MC Media player search box html code on a html page and when someone searches for a word, it opens up the MC Media player and displays the results in the playlist window or something like that. Fotoplayer has this option without a full-fledge mysql database. These are just some suggestions.

An option to set background music
    I'll think about this one.
    Thanks Dave for all the cool work on the MC Media player.

Flash Player 9 Public Beta

I have not checked but I hope the MC Media player works with the Flash Player 9 Public Beta which has been released on the Adobe site.

Blog Entries
    When I click on the download link, it gives me the error File not found
    Drat. I knew the forced download thing was temperamental. The main problem is that the download won't work until the whole file has been loaded into the player, so I've had to use some workarounds to prevent problems.

I have now tried a different approach and simplified it. You should get a message telling you to wait and try again if the file hasn't loaded, otherwise it should work okay. Could you please download this version and give it a try?

Thanks for helping test it. I don't know why the forced download works differently on different servers. When I get a chance I will try to emulate your situation as one of my tests to help my own testing in future.

Quote: hurry
    I hope the MC Media player works with the Flash Player 9
    Me too!
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Download link

I have now tried a different approach and simplified it. You should get a message telling you to wait and try again if the file hasn't loaded, otherwise it should work okay. Could you please download this version and give it a try?
    I tried. Now it gives me the message to wait till it is downloaded. But after the file gets downloaded then I click Download this file and it opens the Save dialog box for choosing the name and path. But when I click Save nothing happens. There is nothing downloaded. I am testing it in Firefox 1.5.0.3. Url: http://naam-yoga.org/delme0.html . Will it download the file again from the server or will it download the file from the file which is cached by the browser in the local hard drive?

Dave, will the forced download work only when the file is completely downloaded in player while playing? I have flv video which are 250 Mb etc. and I dont want double bandwidth consumed to download the file. For example, if someone has already seen the video previously and now only wants to download the flv video, he will have to first let the whole video play and download in the cache and then he can download the flv file an if someone has a slow internet connection and wants to download a file, one will have to wait till whole file is first downloaded in the player and then manually download again which would take a very long time for dialup connections especially for big files.

This means 250 x 2 = 500 MB is bandwidth is consumed and 250 MB is consumed unneccesarily. Is this understanding correct? If yes, then it will lead to large extra bandwidth usage.

Thanks for helping test it.
    You are always welcome Dave.

Blog Entries
    I think I know what the problem is. Your web page is a different sub-domain to the files in the playlist, i.e. http://naam-yoga.org/delme0.html without the www. Your playlist file uses http://www.naam-yoga.org URLs.

I changed the URL in my address bar to http://www.naam-yoga.org/delme0.html and the download worked.

I think it's always good practice to decide whether or not to use www in your URLs and stay consistent.

The player doesn't need to download the file twice. As far as I can see the download just copies the file from your cache to the directory you select (although I'd still like to confirm this). The copying takes a few seconds, during which you should see a "Downloading progress" message followed by "Download complete".

BTW, the user doesn't actually have to play the whole video file before downloading it - the file just has to load into the player, i.e. buffer 100% of the file.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Download link

I think I know what the problem is. Your web page is a different sub-domain to the files in the playlist, i.e. http://naam-yoga.org/delme0.html without the www. Your playlist file uses http://www.naam-yoga.org URLs. I changed the URL in my address bar to http://www.naam-yoga.org/delme0.html and the download worked.
    Yes, it worked at my end now. But in the future I plan to put more videos on a different server and different domain name i.e. some videos in the playlist will be on the present server www.naam-yoga.org and some will be on a different domain name. I will always use the www but will the forced download work in that case.

BTW, the user doesn't actually have to play the whole video file before downloading it - the file just has to load into the player, i.e. buffer 100% of the file.
    If it is getting transferred from the cache then it should be ok. I will check that later today.

Another thing. If a file is buffered 50% and thus 50% of it is in the cache, if I refresh the page or go to another file and return to that file it starts buffering from 0% even though 50% should be in the cache and it should start from 51% like it does in other flash media players I have used. How to make this to work? I want to save bandwidth as I will have a huge library with a lot of big media files.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast