Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote: hurry
    I will always use the www but will the forced download work in that case.
    I did some cross-domain testing last night. Playing a file from another domain works fine. To enable the download link you will need a crossdomain.xml file on the site hosting the video file. I tested this - it was easy to set up and worked well.

Quote: hurry
    If a file is buffered 50% and thus 50% of it is in the cache, if I refresh the page or go to another file and return to that file it starts buffering from 0%
    I noticed that on your site as well, but I'm not seeing the same problem on other sites. During my testing last night I took the liberty of including a file from your domain in the playlist. Files from all the other domains were able to pick up interrupted downloads but the file from your domain always went back to 0%. I also copied one of your files to our server and tried it - it worked okay which proves it's not a problem with your files.

It appears to be something to do with your server. Do you know if your site can resume broken downloads? When you login using an FTP program you should see a status message which says either "This site can resume broken downloads" or "This site cannot resume broken downloads".
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Download

Quote: Dave
    I did some cross-domain testing last night. Playing a file from another domain works fine. To enable the download link you will need a crossdomain.xml file on the site hosting the video file. I tested this - it was easy to set up and worked well.
    Thanks, yes playing works fine. You will have to tell me what should be there in the crossdomain.xml file. I plan to use multiple domain names and servers for the files in the playlist.

I noticed that on your site as well, but I'm not seeing the same problem on other sites. During my testing last night I took the liberty of including a file from your domain in the playlist. Files from all the other domains were able to pick up interrupted downloads but the file from your domain always went back to 0%. I also copied one of your files to our server and tried it - it worked okay which proves it's not a problem with your files. It appears to be something to do with your server. Do you know if your site can resume broken downloads? When you login using an FTP program you should see status message which says either "This site can resume broken downloads" or "This site cannot resume broken download".
    Thanks so much for testing Dave. In the ftp programs, the files resume both while downloads and uploads. It is GoDaddy hosting. I dont why it is not taking up the previous buffering because it supports resume downloads and uploads. I think they say that the server does not support streaming but I guess this is progressive download what we are talking about so it work. I may be wrong. I will write to them about this problem. But when the file downloads fully, then it plays from the cache. So at least that works. Meanwhile please let me know if there is any other solution for this. I will let you know as soon as I get a reply from them.

Download

They wrote to me that their hosting does not support this kind of resume of buffering. So I am stuck at that. But it is ok. At least it plays the full file from the cache.

Another feature request:
    Maybe this is faroff but it will be great if we can have an option to set a row of small photo thumbnails at the bottom of the viewing pane instead of the elaborate player controls for specific playlist folders which contain only jpg images.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update. It's good to hear how different servers work with flv files.

The easiest way to make a cross-domain policy is this...

Create a file called crossdomain.xml and place it in the root directory of the website you want to access, i.e. the website with the video files. Paste the following code into the file:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>

<!DOCTYPE cross-domain-policy SYSTEM "http://www.macromedia.com/xml/dtds/cross-domain-policy.dtd">
    <cross-domain-policy>
       <allow-access-from domain="www.example.com" />
    </cross-domain-policy>
    Replace www.example.com with the domain containing the video player. Make sure you match the subdomain exactly (www etc).

Regarding thumbnails in the player... it's a good idea. You're right though - it could be a while away
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

mp3 seekbar problem

Dave, when is the mp3 seekbar solution expected, an option to set auto-forward for specific (photo) folders for the slidehsow, a search plugin and something like that to search for the file names and descriptions in the playlist and a way to give a direct url link to open a specific file from the MC Media player playlist in the player?

I have put a beta of my MC Media Player with my playlist here and till now everyone seems to like it. For mp3 files, not only the seekbar does not work but we cannot see the total time also.

For flv files, we get the message that "Cannot download this file while it is still loading. Please wait until the entire file has loaded and try again." But for mp3 files, still there is the same problem for download. Clicking the download link before it is fully loaded gives you the save box and then nothing happens. Can you please put the same message for mp3 files too?

The swf files problem is quite odd. Most of my swf files refuse to play. You can try under Animations -> Worship or most folders under Animations are swf files. Will adding dur and res variables to these swf files in the playlist help?

Is there any way to set the dfile to play when the player loads i.e. default file parameter as the name of the flv file in the playlist rather than the file number in the playlist? This is because everytime I add a video to the playlist I want to post a new thread on my forum with that new video file opening as the default file in the MC Media Player. The problem is when I add new video files at some position in the playlist, the number of the all the other files after these files will change and so the MC Media player threads for previously added files will default play some other files instead of the intended ones. Is it also possible to add an optionl feature that the player opens the dfile but does not starts playing it? Just stops there. And the viewer has to click play to start playing it. Thanks.
    Last edited by hurry; 31st May 2006 at 09:59.

Blog Entries
    Thanks again for the feedback, and for showing us the URL in your forum.

I'm going away for a week as of today so I won't be able to do any work at all during that time, although I will still be checking this forum. I'll also have to make this message quick because I need to get ready to go.

I'm afraid the short answer is "I don't know". Some of these things might take a couple of days to implement, some might take weeks, some might turn out to be impossible.

All I can say is that I'm planning to start work again on the player within the next two weeks. What happens after that is for fate to decide

I'll come back next week and try to answer a bit more precisely.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks

Quote: Dave
    All I can say is that I'm planning to start work again on the player within the next two weeks. What happens after that is for fate to decide I'll come back next week and try to answer a bit more precisely.
    Thanks Dave for sending this reply before you left. Will patiently wait till you return.

like the defvid and way to still use it some how.

i tryed to add a file to the playlist with no label or desc but still show a link to it. any way to hide it.

dfile

I'll come back next week and try to answer a bit more precisely.
    Dave, are you back by now?

For posting MC Media player on my forum while announcing a new video uploaded, I really need two options:

(1) In the html code, I need an option to set the dfile by the flv file name instead of the number as the numbers keep on changing when I add new files in the playlist tree Folders.

(2) An option by which I set a dfile, the playlist on the left expands to the dfile as it is now when the player loads, but the actual flv file does not start loading or playing automatically. I require the viewer to click the play button for it start loading (downloading) and playing. Please do this for me so that I can announce all the new videos uploaded with the MC Media Player in new posts with dfile as the new video. I dont want it to start playing automatically because I will have so many new video posts and I dont want to loose bandwidth due to the video starting to play simply when someone browses to that post. I want them to click Play for it.

(3) Also waiting for the Mp3 seekbar and total time functionality. Thankyou.

Blog Entries
    Sorry guys, I've been a bit tied up with a big job and I haven't been able to look at this yet.

Just want to check this to see if I've got it right. If I include the following options for defining the dfile, will this cover everything you both need?

- Define it by name or playlist number.
    - Have it automatically highlighted in the playlist, and play automatically.
    - Have it automatically highlighted in the playlist, but not play automatically.
    - Do not include it in the playlist at all.

There are a few complications with providing all these options. It's possible that there will be some limitations but I'm not sure yet.

The MP3 seekbar thing is taking a while because I'm having to re-write all the seekbar code from the ground up.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast