Video Camera Recommendations

First, I have to say this site is great and I will be using it non-stop in the upcoming weeks for a video-streaming project I've been assigned last minute.

I need some recommendations from you guys on a video camera that will allow me to:
    • record interviews when the environment will be dimly-lit with lots of background noise

• a removable microphone so I can capture the interview clearly

• will capture the video in a format I can later use for video streaming as dicussed on this web site (FLASH, MPEG, etc.)

• adjusts for the shakiness of the videographer

Hope this request for recommendations isn't too off-topic. Many thanks in advance for any recommendations you send my way!

Melissa

It kind of depends on what your budget is? $2500 or $500. Let me know how much you can spend on a camera and the rest will come. Thanks

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote: web_lady
    First, I have to say this site is great and I will be using it non-stop in the upcoming weeks for a video-streaming project I've been assigned last minute.
    Thanks, I hope you find it useful.

record interviews when the environment will be dimly-lit with lots of background noise
    Most cameras can handle low light fairly well, but if necessary you can add your own lighting. Try to use a directional microphone.

a removable microphone so I can capture the interview clearly
    Look for a microphone input on the camera - most cameras have one. You can then plug any microphone into it (you may need an adaptor).

will capture the video in a format I can later use for video streaming
    It's not a good idea to capture in the same format you'll be streaming, in fact it's unlikely you'll be able to do this anyway. Instead, capture in a good editing format (I recommend DV) and then convert it when you've finished editing.

adjusts for the shakiness of the videographer
    Use a tripod. Some cameras have a stabilizing system (optical is better than digital) but the best thing you can do is just shoot steady footage.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Doug
    I can reccommend the Sony HVR Z1P. has varible gain for low light. Use it with a Sony UWP-C2 Radio Mike (Hand Held) or a Shotgun Mike
    The Camera can do HiRes, Standard Res (4x3 or DV cam.
    I have this camera it is great
    Doug

Thank You

Wow - thanks for the quick response and suggestions. Derek, I was hoping to spend no more than $700, so hopefully I can get a reasonable camera in this price range.

Learning a lot these past two days. You guys have been great!

OK, $700 isn't alot to work with, but I think you could do it. I would look into the Canon's, maybe the ZR series, or the Optura series. Just make sure that it has a mic in. About the light, I would definantly agree with Dave, you need some more light, though the cameras say they have a light on them, and can handle low light, the picture is always grainy or slow. Find a way to light up your shot. If it isn't total professionalism your going for, any mic will do, just make sure they have the right jack at the end to go into the camcorder. I know that Radio Shack sells a good lapel mic. I hope that helps.

Derek

Canon Elura 100

Just wanted to update everyone on my final purchase - I got a Canon Elura 100.

Now I'm looking for a solid, but economical, wireless mic to go along with it. Any suggestions? I'll ask for one in the Audio forum, but thought I'd ask the question in this forum since you've been such a help in here.

Thanks for the advice!
    Melissa

James nelson

Videographer

A Sony PD 170 would do the trick quite well if it is in your budget.

James Nelson

Videographer

Try a Sony UWP-C1 wireless mic. This has an omni-directional lavalier mic.
    It's all I use with excellent results.