Exporting video in FCE

Anyone here knows what video compression is best for exporting video in Final Cut Express HD? I've been trying the different compressions yet the video quality is blur and pixelated. To make it worse, the file size is extremely large.... Can anyone help?

It all depends on what your goal is, what are you doing with the video. That will determine the settings. Let me know!!!

Derek

Video compression

Ok, I need to export the video into VCD and it must be able to play on VCD players... any tips?

Blog Entries
    You shouldn't be getting blurred or pixelated video unless you are compressing it to an extreme extent. It sounds like there is something wrong with your settings rather than the type of compression you're using.

Are you using consistent settings all the way from capture to export, e.g. the same resolution, frame rate, etc?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    You just beat me with that message

I've never worked with VCD so I can't give any specific advice, but I'd still be looking at all your settings and trying to find anything which doesn't look right.

What happens if you export the video without any compression?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Video settings

I'm using DV PAL with frame rate of 24 frames/sec. I did not change any settings throughout. During exporting, I do change the compression to AVI or Mpeg format. But I faced extremely big file size. For a video to play on VCD player, which compression should I use? and what about on DVD players? what compression suits best?

If your having problems in FCE trying to get good vcd quality video then you could save the file as DV-avi (if you have the hd space) and then download and use the incredibaly good and free TMPGEnc program to compress it to vcd format. The program is free if converting video to the vcd format but you need to pay to use it to do DVD. It uses a wizard to help you thru the process and is very easy to use.
    Using the advanced features enables you to clip the video, crop the video, use filters to de-interlace etc, noise reduction and a lot more.
    Do a search for TMPGEnc in google. Theres quite a few places that you can download it from and theres alot of help out there to if needed.

Just a thought....

Blog Entries
    According to Apple, FCE HD doesn't support 24fps. Are you using a third-party solution for this?

DVD uses MPEG-2 encoding.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

hmm... ok i got things mixed up. ryte now im using fce v1.0. it supports 24fps. I mean i can select the frame rate.

anws guys, thxs alot for helping. I decide to export in avi format with compression setting set to DV-PAL, 24fps. It gives smooth playback, but the file size is big. hmm, am still trying to get smooth playback yet small file size.

In any case, should you know of any ways to get smooth playback yet small file size, perhaps u can help me out?