Sound levels in Premiere Pro

I've captured/transfered quite few videos to my computer from my Hi8 analogue camera thru a Leadtek Tv card using different programs such as Virtualdub, MSP7, UVS7.

Problem is when i go to edit some of the videos in premiere pro the sound levels can be quite a bit different. Some clips are louder than others.
    How can i tell which is the better sound level to set the clip volume at?

I'm trying to get a constant level through out the entire timeline. I know i can drag the sound level up and down to raise/lower the volume but is there a level (db) that i should be aiming for?

Cheers.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

Blog Entries
    Do you use Premiere's sound mixer? The default editing workspace doesn't show it which I think is a shame. I think it's a good idea to always have it visible (Window > Audio Mixer).

If you find that it takes up too much space you can select "Master meters only" from the flyout menu on the mixer. This provides a very small audio metering window which is very useful.

The audio should normally be peaking just below 0dB on these meters.

A trick I sometimes use is to nest a sequence in another sequence, and apply the "Dynamics" audio effect to the whole sequence. You can use this to apply limiting/compression to the whole timeline which helps get rid of occasional peaks and smooth out any excessive sound contrast.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks for the reply Dave.

I've tried to use the audio mixer before but usually ended up using keyframes in the audio track in the timeline because it was taking up to much space.
    (I have a second monitor here which i may have to look into hooking up. My graphics card suports it and I could really do with the extra real estate)

Will have a play with the way you mentioned. Nesting it as another sequence sounds like a good idea.

If all else fails i shall read the help manual

Blog Entries
    Two monitors is great, although Premiere's support for dual monitors isn't perfect. It's a big improvement over one though.

I don't usually use the mixer for setting sound levels, I tend to use keyframes like you do. I mostly just use the mixer for visual metering.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Say i'm working on a audio clip, If i move the slider up or down in the audio mixer does it move the volume in the timeline as well?

Blog Entries
    There is a drop-menu for each audio channel with various options:

Off: Make any changes you like while you playback the clip - the changes won't be saved.

Read: Previously-saved settings will be used when you play the clip back. Watch the sliders move like magic!

Write: Slider adjustments you make will be saved.

Latch & Touch: Similar to Write but I can't remember the exact differences.

So basically, use Write and Read to save and use slider adjustments.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Ok, thanks.
    Will have a play around with what your've said and try to get an understanding of it but it probably wont be for a few weeks as i've got to go oversea's.
    Theres certainly alot to learn with Premiere Pro.

After i learn the basics of how the audio works then you'll probably get a question in the forums from me about how to use the colour channel filters