Thread: Mac mini

Mac mini

is it advisable to get a mac mini for video, graphic and audio editing purposes? Or is it better to stick to windows?

Blog Entries
    It's one of those questions to which I don't think there is a clear answer. Ask a Mac user, they'll say Mac. Ask a Windows user, they'll probably say Windows.

Personally I think a lot depends on the software you want to use. If you like Final Cut Pro go with Mac. If you like Adobe go with Windows.

I do think Macs are better computers and a better OS, but you pay for it. You can get equivalent PCs for less. I find that if I'm working Windows hard I need to reboot it a couple of times per day but that's not much drama really. If it's a compromise you're happy to live with it can save you a fair bit of cash.

One other thing... if you want to look good in front of your video peers then a Mac certainly helps
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Re:

Well, I agree that this question, generaly speaking, would be differently answered by the Mac or Win OS platform supporters, but... my question would be is Mac Mini/iBook sufficient for running Final Cut Pro, or should I buy more expensive Mac Book Pro/G5? I'm a Windows XP user for now, but I would like to have a Mac by my side

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who runs FCP on an iBook so it's possible. The Mac Mini also looks like it should be able to cope. Personally I'd normally recommend a desktop over a laptop-type computer for editing.

Anyway, the system requirements are here so you can make sure:
    http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/...ml?finalcutpro
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

If you want a hassle free life and be able to install popular software etc I'd stay with Windows.

CHIME!!!!!

Ok i had to chime in on this one. I on many occasions have expressed my love for FCP. HOWEVER. if you will not be getting anything bigger than the minimac/ibook. I may say go with a pc. i would look into the powerbook if you have to go with a Laptop. If you are doing any serious editing.....you will find that you should get a G5 desk top! you will learn to appreciate the space and the duel screen!

Hope this helps!
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!