Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    What happens if you right-click the attachment link and select "Save As"? You should be able to save it to your computer and then open it.

If it doesn't work I could email the file to you.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dave:

Do you know if ProTools offer a highr bitrate. . . would love to sample the program before I buy it but I don't think a current version is available to sample. Yet, I wonder want the conversion would be like using that software. So many in the voice over industry use ProTools.

Blog Entries
    I imagine it does, but check this out:
    http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

A Big Thanks, Dave! Your 8 bit mulaw file sounded much better than mine. It may be that sound forge is not provided me with the best quality. Here's a comment you made in a previous post, "the bitrate is a lot higher than yours (352kbps vs 88kbps) which could explain the better quality." Can you explain to me what bitrate is and how do I find the bitrate of a file. How did you know my bitrate was 88kbps? If I buy a new program how do I learn what bit rates it offers for 8 bit mulaw files? I cannot believe that you identified the problem . . .now I have to find the software that can handle the conversion. Great job! I'm lovin' you .. . buy the way saw the video about the "waxing" . . lol

Blog Entries
    If you use Windows, browse to the file in Windows Explorer (or My Computer etc). Right-click the file and select Properties. Click the Summary tab and you should see some info about the bitrate, bit depth, etc.

The bitrate defines how many bits per second the file uses. The more bits per second, the more information and the better the quality (in theory at least).

If you can trial a program, the bitrate choices should appear in the options when you "Save As". I can't speak for individual programs. It might be worth contacting the company that makes the software and asking them, or see if they have a support forum you can ask in.

The waxing video... hehe. That was a bit of fun
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Today, I tried converting the file using Adobe Audition 1.5 (a free sample). It didn't work, perhaps that version is too old. Is it the software program that determines the bitrate, in my case the 88kphs? I noticed for Audobe Audition 1.5 I had the same bitrate. Or, is it the computer? Mmm . . . I'm trying to learn this stuff . . boy, I admire you engineers . . this is alot of work . . lol .. .

Dave, which version of Adobe Audition did you use to convert the file to 8 bit mulaw?

Blog Entries
    I used v1.5 as well. I opened the original file, selected File > Save As, then in the "Save As Type" drop-menu I selected "A/mu-Law Wave". I clicked the Options button and checked that "mu-Law 8-bit" was selected. Then I saved the file.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

You're probably getting bored with my problem . . .but, I just wanted to share with you that I found out the difference in our files. My files need to be 11025, 8bit mulaw. . . the file you sent that sounds great is 44,100, 8bit mulaw. . . what happens when you keep the file at 11,025? Do you get the same kind of static that I get? If you're busy helping others, trust me I understand. This problem gets tiresome.

Blog Entries
    It's not that I'm getting bored, it's that I'm getting stuck. I hate admitting defeat but I'm getting close now.

I can't really get a decent sound using 8-bit/11,025. Actually I wouldn't expect to - I would have assumed that this is too low to get decent quality sound. However your telco client obviously thinks it's possible and I guess they should know.

I've tried noise reduction but I don't think that's the problem - the original recording is fine. I just can't find any way to get it to the required specs and still sound good.

Anyone else got any ideas? I'm starting to feel a little lonely here .
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast