Blog Entries

Cell phone movies

Well this is definitely a twist that I never expected to see. A movie that is piece together from cell phone files, to be released for theatrical viewing. See it here:
    http://smssugarman.com/home_page.html

Since it's being done as a first time, it's my assumption that those involved will get some sort of recognition for it – but I can't see anybody else doing it and getting the recognition.

Will there be a big payoff because so little money is spent, kind of like, The Blair Witch Project? (…which I never saw but heard later of it's financial success). Will this make manufacturers rethink their technology to improve it even further? Will your cell be your camcorder or your camcorder your cell? It's already moving to cells being an internet/tv/radio. I was on the train when I saw a young man blasting his cell for their friends to hear music – it was annoying as hell!

Just as technology matures, we blossom and flourish into something new. Bigger tv/monitors that are crystal clear with high definition - so who wants to shrink it down, the manufacturer or the consumer? The FCC (here in the U.S.) wants to take away the big bulky analog air waves, so that we can fill up with more digital waves. Does this mean that some jerk thinks that watching HD on their cell or Gameboy is cool?? Who is the one making the demands? Manufacturers say this is what the public wants. The consumer say, this is what the manufacturers are putting out, so I might as well get one. What was once small, is now big – what was once big is now small AND what was once wired is now wireless and what was once wireless is now wired.

And who said we're not focused on our lives?!!?

Oh btw… the plot does seem to peak my interest. It's the technology part that disturbs me…
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Blog Entries
    I'm a bit confused by this. On one page this site says "The film is not actually shot on cell phone cameras", but in the interview with Cinematographer Eran Tahor it says "SMS Sugar Man is the first feature shot on cellphones and transferred to 35mm film".

You'd think the cinematographer would know what sort of camera was used, so I guess he's got it right.

Whatever the case it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Someone else claiming to be the first:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/06/15/c....ap/index.html

Italian filmmakers used a Nokia N90, a higher-end cell phone sold around the world, to produce the 93-minute "New Love Meetings," which they say is the first feature film to be entirely shot with such a tool.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com