Thread: Transparency

First post here, and a slightly different angle.

I'm looking to purchase a photo editing program primarily just to be able to do transparencies. I have a wooden propeller web site that displays the photos of propellers in a framed background, but I'd like to be able to dislpay them as transparencies. Years ago I sent someone the image and they converted into this GIF, which works fine for all of the applications I've tried to use if for:

Is this something I can do myself with a fairly inexpensive photo editing program? If so, which one? I'm looking at Corel Paint Shop as being fairly inexpensive, but then it looks like that might require a plug-in of some sort.

Blog Entries
    I took the liberty of moving this to a new thread - the other one is getting too overwhelmed.

I'm pretty sure Photoshop Elements will do this - could be worth a look.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Well, I'm trying Paintshop Pro 10.0 on a 30 day freebie, but I'm having similar problems to what everyone seems to be describing with PhotoShop, i.e. saving the transparency.

I can get to this point easily enough:

...but after that I don't know how to save it as a transparency. Do I need to add that image to a transparent layer? On some of my photos the background is not the exact same color of white, so I think I need to use the background eraser tool to get to the point of the one shown, although it would be nice to have the software all do that for me.

Blog Entries
    Okay, you're basically there. See saving as transparent gif to finish it off.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com