Lighting angle: 3 point lighting

I just read the tutorial for 3-point lighting.

I currently use two 60 watt bulbs at either side of my subject about 15 feet away (maybe that's 5 meters to most of you.) So according to the technique of three point lighting one of these should be stronger and more directed. And I should have another behind my subject some ware. There is a projection screen behind my subject so this provides some back lighting (and presents other problems!!!)

But the illustrations show the "Key" and "Fill" lights at 45 degrees in front of the subject. Mine would be at the sides of the suject. I used to have spot lights in some of my lights but I did not like the way it looked.

I will try again this weekend.

Errr...

I forgot my main question!!!

Does the angle of the lights matter? I have tried to get some lights installed but it does not happen(!!!) I should continue to try. I just have some clamp on light hidden behind some beams.

Blog Entries
    Hi rubrick2006,

Yes, the angle does matter. You'll just have to take it upon faith from others who have done this sort of thing... It is not just 45 degrees from the plane of the subject, it also should be (or at least as high as possible above the subjects eyes) 45 degrees downward to the subject, otherwise you'll cast shadows on the wall.

What kind of camera are you using? The reason I ask, is because I don't think 60W lamps from 15' or 5m has sufficient footcandles on your subject. This could be the reason why you're not getting the results you're looking for.

Oh and one more thing, direct light from a bulb is very harsh. You should try to use reflected light or a diffusion filter (in front of the light, NOT the camera!) to help soften the strong shadows.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

What kind of Camera? A DINOSAUR!!!

Panasonic AG 455 or AG 456 at fifty feet from my subject! This camera has a 49mm lense, some manual controls and digital gain. I have been filming with 2x digital gain. A fully opened iris is not enough. I used a little Panasonic PV GS 300 last weekend and the results were kind of dark... I have been experimenting with a little Sony TRV 27 which is OK but also needs to have it's iris all the way open.

Do you have a suggestion for a camera for this situation? I was thinking of a Canon GL2 just because the 20X zoom would give me some depth of focus. But a more affordable option would be to get a telephoto lense attachment for the AG 455.

When you talk of "Diffusion filters" are you saying I should invest in some light-cans that can accept gel slide? Or is a diffusion filter something I can attach to a track light can with an incandecent bulb in it?

I thought about getting light cans. But the bulbs they use are not available locally. I would have to mail order them if they burned out.

Six months ago my plan was to have two lighting tracks on either side of my subject with three lights on each track. Then I would also have two lights at Fourty five degree angles shining directly on my subject. The reason for the last two lights was we intalled a projection screen for an LCD projector directly behind the pulpit where my subject stands (this is in a church.) I was getting really dark pictures!!!

Anyways, thanks for your advice, I just have to keep on trying to get some lighting installed.

Blog Entries
    It is really unfortunate that your using an old camera. It causes great hinderence.

I have no manufacturer suggestion, however you'll really have to do homework and research for a proper zoom lens for the distance you need and low light sensitivity.

If possible, diffusion whether frosted or tough spun can be used and attached to the tracklight housing or barn doors with wooden (spring action) clothes pins clip - never/ever use adhesive tape.

Your situation is not an easy thing to deal with because your looking to light your subject properly without degrading the projected image. If there's anyway possible, I suggest that you address the situation to the church and seek their cooperation to change the situation so that it's suitable and achieves both goals.

I know there are other members who read Media College and I hope that they can find the time to share their experiences to help, "enlighten", you... (I know... it's bad...sorry).

And as you can see, it's a learning experience with trial and error - stuff you won't forget..
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.