Video Streaming question

Hello all,

Just a quick question, i would like to stream some of the upcomming world cup matches to a LAN consisting of about 20 pcs, I've been doing some research on this and have read that i would require a streaming server, i've decided to use Microsoft Windows Media Server since it is bundled with Windows 2000 and 2003 server edition software which i already have. I wanted to capture the video directly of the television if possible, and read somewhere i would need to get a capture card, which leads to my question how exactly can i go about achieving this task (is microsoft windows media encoder all i need) and what capture card do you all recommend i should go with.

Blog Entries
    It's been a while since I've used Windows Media Encoder but it's what you'll need. I don't see any problems with what you want to do.

Recommending a capture card is difficult because they change so often, and in any case capture cards aren't as common as they used to be for video makers. These days we tend to just use Firewire connections. If possible you should think about going that way as well.

For example, if you have a camcorder which uses Firewire and has AV inputs, you can use it as a converter. Plug the video signal into the camcorder and from the camcorder to the computer via Firewire.

You can also buy standalone video-to-Firewire converters, but personally I think buying a new camcorder would be more cost-effective.

You can use Windows Movie Maker to do the capturing if you have nothing else (but be warned that it's not a good program - only use it if you have no choice).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

thanks for the info, but was thinking about using the ATI all in wonder radeon card, saw that on microsoft site as a card that was compatible with windows encoder, which leads me to by next question which one will be better in capturing the video in terms of quality, the firewire or capture card (ATI all in wonder in my case)

Blog Entries
    I can't say offhand, and I'm on the road at the moment so it's a bit hard to look at the specs. Perhaps someone else can offer an opinion. I'll be able to look at it more closely when I get home next week if you're still looking for an answer.

Radeon is of course a respectable brand, but IMO it's hard to go past Firewire.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

hmmm..... interesting well might just have to do some research into the use of firewire, i read on the click and go video tutorial i downloaded somewhere can't rememer the exact link that firewire has no lost in quality when transfering files so might just have to check that out, and if its cost effective might give it a try, but i'll have to get a camcoder to convert from analog to digital that might just add to my cost, will have to give it some thought, got a week again before the match that i would like to stream starts (June 10 Trinidad and Tobago vs Sweden)

Paul

u can use almost any card

if you have a video and audio out available from a VCR u can use a video capture card, like a pinnacle
    If you have TV capture card it depends. i have a pc HP with a media center, and even if i can watch tv on my pc i cant encode using windows media encoder 9.
    So in my case i bought a chipest tv card X-pert tv-PVR 878 pci
    ( www.kworld.com.tw )
    and in another computer works perfect. (an old AMD K6 455Mhz)