Thread: Sound question?

Khalilah

Sound question?

To get the best sound in movie on a small budget? Would a wireless microphone system be better than a Boom microphone?

The price range for wireless is maybe 200, but some boom mikes range from 109 to 200.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    The best sound will depend on several factors but the quality of the microphone itself will be the most important.

A wireless system has the obvious advantage of getting closer to the action if required, but it won't do you much good if it's a nasty microphone. I assume you're looking at a whole system, i.e. the wireless transmitter, receiver and mic all in one package. If so, it's not likely to be very high quality. Cheap wireless systems are also problematic - you may find that the transmission system isn't completely reliable in some situations.

I would recommend a boom mic. It's safer and likely to be a better mic since you're paying only for the mic and not the transmission system. If you need to get the mic closer to the action, just use a separate sound recorder and take that with the mic.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com