Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help Me Please!!!

Recently, I set up a home studio. I do voice over work. I'm having a problem with my studio and can't find anyone to help me solve the problem. Here is the problem . . . I do voice files for telephone companies . . .I record 44,100, 16 bit wave files and convert the files to 11.025, 8 bit, mulaw files (due to the requirements of the clients); however, the files automatically covert to 16 bit. I use sound forge and a tascam mixer. When I convert the files to mulaw, I always end up with distortion (static and the sound is muffled). There must be a way to do this that will eliminate much of the distortion. Can you help me? Would it help if I send you sample. Let me know what you think.

Blog Entries
    I can't think why the conversion to 8-bit isn't working or why the distortion is happening. A sample might help if you can upload one, at least to identify the type of distortion.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave:

Try to give it a shot . . but it says that the upload format is invalid. I suspect I have to create a zip file. How do I do that? Or, better yet, specifically what steps do I need to do to upload the two samples?

Thanks,
    Stacey

I tried again . . . . my files are wave and mulaw files . . . don't think I can upload those . . . doesn't look like the extensions are allowable .. . I'm feeling pretty helpless on this one . . been working on solving this problem for the past eight months . . .sigh

Blog Entries
    What file extensions are the files? I assumed the mulaw file would be .au so I enabled that extension. I've also since enabled .wav extensions.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dave, this is a great site and you are fantastic! Thanks for responding so quickly. I'll try to give this a shot. Looks like I did it. By the way, the mulaw file, in this case, is saved as a wav file; though, as I understand it is a mulaw wave file. Still learning. Again, thanks for the help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    Thanks but you might not want to get too enthusiastic with the praise just yet - I still haven't been able to figure this out. I'll have a closer look at the files in the morning but so far, no luck.

If anyone else wants to pitch in here, now's good.....
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

It's a humdinger . . . nonetheless, I still think you're fabulous just for taking the time to try and figure out the problem. Just wondering . . could this happen because my tascam is not install properly? Just a thought. Mmm.

Blog Entries
    On closer inspection your 8-bit file really is 8-bit. I was initially confused because I use Adobe Audition which automatically opens 8-bit files as 16-bit. It's possible that Sound Forge does the same thing, leading you to think that the file had never been converted to 8-bit.

I saved your original file as an 8-bit mu-Law wav file and it's come out somewhat better than your version. Far from perfect but I guess that's to be expected with 8-bit. To be honest I've never really worked with this resolution so my ear isn't quite sure what quality to expect.

Adobe Audition doesn't offer any options when converting to 8-bit so the file I got is all I can do. The bitrate is a lot higher than yours (352kbps vs 88kbps) which could explain the better quality.

I'm guessing the bitrate won't matter for your application. Can you set it to be higher in Sound Forge?

I've attached my 8-bit version for you to have a listen to.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dog on it Dave! (smile) You're not going to believe this . . .I swear you are going to think I'm totally helpless . . but for some reason I cannot open your attachment . . instead I just get a little symbol an that's it. What am I doing wrong now? I'm anxious to hear your sample. And, by the way thanks forth the effort to help shed some light on my problem. You really are a gem. And, the website, as the kids say "is da bomb!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast