Thread: colour bars

laze

colour bars

hi im new to the site but i have made a video to be submitted to a digital station and have been asked amongst various other things for 100% colour bars. what are colour bars and how do i put them on my video

Blog Entries
    Hi laze,

You can see some examples and descriptions of colour bars here. They are basically test patterns which enable editors and technicians to adjust certain parameters of your video to conform to technical standards. By providing bars (and audio tone) at the start of your video, you give them a reference to work with.

Most decent editing applications allow you to add colour bars. If you don't have this facility, let me know what standard you're using (NTSC or PAL) and I'll see if I can upload some for you to download and use. Unfortunately I'm away from home at the moment so I can't guarantee when I'll be able to do it - it might not be until Monday or Tuesday.

BTW, 100% bars are just a slight variation in the specs. The difference between 75% and 100% bars is technical and the details don't really matter, as long as you have the right sort.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com