Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: view web site

view web site

Like comments on web site please. Be honest as this will help me to develope it. http://www.v-i-cstudio.com

thankyou in advance.

Please dont be afraid to comment. I may be new to this forum but I like bad comments as it allows me to correct the problem. As they say if you dont know you have a problem you cant fix it. So please dont be shy on commenting "I can take it, really I can". This is my first web site and I need all the help I can get.

Blog Entries
    None of your images are working because you are using back-slashes instead of forward-slashes in your HTML, e.g. Images\Small_Film_reel.jpg instead of Images/Small_Film_reel.jpg.

The same goes for other files, like your video clip. You've also got some non-alphanumeric characters (e.g. Movies\N&A Demo.avi) - these will cause problems. Stick to letters and number in file names, no spaces, and preferably all lower-case.

I'd also lose the hit counter - it's considered unprofessional.

Hope this helps.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks dave I will look into that. If you have any info on how it looks or if you see anything that could make it look better please let me know.

lajohns1

I have done wedding videos (many years ago) and I have done web sites. I've learned many things including: (1) In the wedding video business demos are crucial. The potential client's experience of viewing your demo should be perfect. It should go smoothly and look good. (2) If you put a video on a web site, keep it as small as possible to download and view quickly.

Problem -- When I tried to view your demo, Windows Media opened but displayed, "error downloading codec." There was no video and the audio was spotty. Right clicking to download also did not allow me to view the demo.
    Suggestion -- Your demo seems to be about 52MB. I would consider 52MB too large to put on a web site. Since you're telling browsers to view it using Windows Media Player, how about converting the 52MB avi movie to a smaller Windows Media Format file (wmv)? You can download Windows Media Encoder from the Windows site. Then convert the avi file to be viewed by progressive download, select a few options about quality, and end with a much smaller wmv file that plays easily.

Thanks for the reply lajohns1. I know I have a problem with the demo and to be honest never thought of using wmp. I will load the demo in wmp and send it of to my web designer (a friend) to fix. As for the audio, what audio since the demo dosent work onless you download it to your computer and then it works. For that you need to right click on it. With that said, thanks for all the comments keep them coming.

Quote: lajohns1
    Suggestion -- Your demo seems to be about 52MB. I would consider 52MB too large to put on a web site. Since you're telling browsers to view it using Windows Media Player, how about converting the 52MB avi movie to a smaller Windows Media Format file (wmv)? You can download Windows Media Encoder from the Windows site. Then convert the avi file to be viewed by progressive download, select a few options about quality, and end with a much smaller wmv file that plays easily.
    I'm working with some very large video files and wondering what the best option is to view online. In your reply you suggest progressive download. Can you tell me how to set up this option? Will it work with the 52MB file in question?

Thanks

lajohns1

DocRocks, My experience with the technique I mentioned has been good, and I see no reason why it would not work with the 52MB file in question. I recently used this technique to make several video clips available on a web page (http://coe.uno.edu/coe_web/news/2006...rds/index.htm). All 13 of these clips were 160MB or more avi movies. When converted to wmv they were all between 2-10MB.
    Although I cannot explain the complete use and all options of Windows Media Encoder (WME) here, I will get you started. When you open WME you will select Convert a file then use the Browse button to select your avi movie. WME will automatically put the output file (the wmv) in the same location (folder/directory) unless you tell it otherwise. Next, WME will ask you, How do you want to distribute your content? You will select Web server (progressive download). Then WME will ask you to make lots of selections about how you want to encode your file, that is, what kind of settings it should use to convert it. You don't have to be an expert and understand all these setting to use WME, but you may want to do several tests converting one avi movie at high quality, then at medium, then at low, and you may find you can produce a quality video at medium or even low settings which will keep your file size small. When you see an option that says Begin converting when I click finish, leave it UNchecked and click Finish. But you're not completely finished. Now look at the menu bar at top and select Properties and review some settings. The one I pay close attention to here is the tab video size. This is the actual dimensions of your output (wmv) file in width and height. The ones on my web page are very small, 320x240, but mine are just talking heads. You will probably want to go larger, say about 720x480. Again, do some tests if you're not sure. Finally, look at the menu bar and select Start Encoding. Wait until it is done and then you can view your final wmv movie file using Windows Media Player. Place the wmv on your web site with a link to it.
    I hope this has been helpful. Good luck with your movies!

lajohns1

DocRocks, The link to my web page with the examples did not display correctly in my previous post. Let me get you there another way. Go to http://coe.uno.edu and select from the Headlines the one that says 11th Annual Recognition Awards Ceremony. You should see the list of video clips on the right side of page.

thankyou for your comments. I am still exploring wmv and see that 720 x 480 by lajohns1 is a good size frame. I have not been able to fix site yet as I have a lot on at the moment. You can view the file if you down load it to your computer though and then you can give pointers on how to make it better. The media I used is ulead media pro. This is not the best media I know but it is all I have at the moment and i dont have a mac. Some of the shots are not proberley white balanced as I had to hop inside and outside very quickly. Look forward to hearing your comments. This is the best way to learn is it not.
    Last edited by meddler; 8th Jul 2006 at 22:25.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast