Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

editing machine and software

Dear all:

I have a little idea about editing software and machines. But I need the expert opinion from any of you. I would like to set up an edit machine. I am using DV camera. And in our country Broadcast out put only in DV and Betacam SP. Also we need mpeg file to write in DVD to show rough edits to the clients. Here in Bangladesh most of the editors are friendly with PC based software and few are friendly with MAC based softare.
    I am looking for less trouble giving machine and long life machine at least 5 years I can work on that. Otherwise my investment will not get back. Which platform and software (PC or MAC) will give me the future oportunity to be in line with coming technology.

Considering price and all other uspect can anybody give me an advice . I will be greatful.

Thanks

a:

Blog Entries
    Whenever cost is a factor I think Windows is the way to go. It's fair to say Macs are better but I think Windows is good enough and more cost-effective.

Hardware isn't the same issue it used to be. Just get the best machine and biggest hard drive(s) you can afford. Ideally you should go for at least a 2 or 3GHz processor and 1GB+ RAM.

I'd recommend Adobe software. It's powerful enough to produce broadcast-quality with all the bells and whistles you're likely to need. See our list of common video editing software.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

thanks for reply

Thank you very much. But I have received two quotations for both MAC and PC almsot same. Followings are the specifications. Can you or anybody suggest me which machine will be better option for me.

Power PC G5 QUAD
    Two dual-core 2.5GHz PowerPC G5 processors
    1.25GHz frontside bus per processor
    4.5 GB of 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200)
    250GB Serial ATA hard drive
    16x SuperDrive (double-layer)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256MB GDDR SDRAM

Apple 20" LCD Monitor

Final Cut Studio 5.1

Audio mixter : Yamaha MG 16/4 16-channel audio mixer

And for PC

Processor 3.5 Xeon Intell Original
    Mother board (super micro, server, Agp slot 1, Pci slot 5 )
    RAM 3giga
    Casing Server (duel power supply)
    Dual agp (any company)
    CSI controller
    Scasi Hard disc 70g
    Satta hard disc 300gb 2pcs (Raid)

Capture card Canopus NX or Matrox Axion(need HP brand machine)

regards

a:

I think final cut only works on mac computers "but dont quote me on that" as my info might be outdated.

Blog Entries
    You're right meddler - Final Cut Pro for the Mac and Adobe Premiere for the PC.

In fact the choice is probably more about the software than the hardware. I'd say go with whichever software you prefer. If you like Final Cut Pro, go with the Mac.

From my point of view I'd say the Mac looks like the more attractive option from your two quotes. I'm not exactly a hardware guru though - I confess I get my brother to make my machines and I just trust him
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Hi apon -
    I live in the U.S. but I'm just curious (economy and tradewise) as to what are the prices that were given to you for both systems.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thanks for the curisity.

I am now in Bangladesh. All the IT products usually imported from Singapore, Bangkok or Chaina. For both MAC and PC according to the specifiaction it will cost me around 10,000/= USD (each). I would like to start my business but I am confused which platform I will use for long service and return on Investment. By the way here in Bangladesh editing panel cost 50 USD/hour with machine rental and editor's remuneration.

Any suggestion!

1 prefer Premiere 4 professional edition.
    1f u a beginner I recommend you to use something which is easy to deal with, like presentavid.

luck-)

Blog Entries
    I do not recommend presentavid - this outfit is a known source of forum spam. Avoid.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

In my humble oppinion,$10,000 for any PC is alot. If you could find someone that knew what they were doing, you could probably have that same machine built for you for $3-4,000. If you are a beginner, I would seriously look into Vegas 6.0. It is a great program, and it has a easy interface. It can do, please correct me if I'm wrong, pretty much everything Premiere pro can do, and it's much easier to learn. One recomendation, if you are using a PC for editing, I would ONLY use it for that and not for surfing the net. I've found that the internet is the main thing that destroyes PC. (Unless I'm missing something)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast