I need help with taking screenshots

Hi, is there a program or media player which will allow you take screenshots and resize them for gif making (about 175x131)?

I'm new to making gifs and the programs I use are irfanview for taking screenshots of video media and unfreez for making the final gif. It works but it is not as smooth as I want it to be. Is it possible to extract a video in wmv format frame by frame?

I appreciate the help.

Blog Entries
    Have you tried the PrintScreen key for taking still screenshots? Just hit the key, then make a new file in your image editing application and do a "paste" (CTRV-V, Edit>Paste, or whatever works in your program).

You can extract frame-by-frame video if you want. For individual frames, just pause your video player on the frame and use the Print Screen key (you may need to turn overlays off in Windows Media Player - I can give you more instructions if necessary).

To capture full-motion video you need a video screen capture application. I use Replay Screencast (http://applian.com/replay-screencast).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I've tried using printscreen but sometimes when I paste it on a imaging editing program, it turns black when I switch to another program or the image still moves in sync with the video.

Please tell me how to turn overlays off in Windows Media Player. Is it possible to extract a frame by frame of a video? I want to know how to make the animation very smooth.

Thanks Dave.

Blog Entries
    I forgot, I recently wrote out the instructions for overlays for someone else here.

To extract frames one at a time, you'll need to pause the player on each frame and capture each one. You can control Windows Media Player this way by going to View > Enhancements > Play Speed Settings. This gives you options for the playback speed and gives you the next/previous frame controls you'll need.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Your instructions we're really helpful. I can finally use printscreen.

About the playback settings, I can't control the play speed (it is always on normal speed and there is no slider control available) and the previous frame toggle. The next frame button works just fine. Is this normal?

Blog Entries
    Glad you've got the PrintScreen going.

I'm not sure about the player speed and frame advance controls, but I guess the player would have trouble with some types of codec. Perhaps inter-frame compression might mean some videos can't be advanced frame by frame. I haven't used the player speed control much but I've never had any problems with it. Sorry I can't be more helpful on that one.

Hopefully you can play the video and pause it just before the first frame to be captured, and then use the next frame button to capture one frame at a time.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Your right, I can manage with just the next frame button.

Anyway, thanks again Dave. You're really amazing, keep up the good work.

Blog Entries
    Cheers woklee, happy to help. Have fun
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com