Live real time video streaming on a DSL-advice sought please

Hi guys, I'm researching if it is possible to set up live streaming on a broadband ADSL connection so that moving pictures can be transferred from one site to another in real time?

I want a person at one site to be able to walk around a motor vehicle outside his own office whilst I at any PC with a similar broadband connection sit in front of a monitor and view the streaming pictures. At the same time, I want to be able to communicate with the other party and ask him to, eg, zoom in on the mileage.

I've done a bit of research in that I've bought and read Streaming Media by Gregory Demetriades. Its been a bit heavy to say the least as I'm completely new to this topic but I've started the project by;

1 Purchasing a new Network IP Camera NC1000-W10 (not yet arrived)

2 Downloading and installing various applications such as active web cam, Unreal Media Server, DivXInstaller, realproducer_basic_11_windows, Windows Media Encoder 9 Series, VirtualDub-1.6.15 and iv5 codec.

Now comes the part of trying to put it all together! Whilst I'm waiting for the camera to arrive (in about a week or so), I'm playing about with a Sony DV laser link which I've connected up to an IEEE1394 card and so can bring video in.

The problem comes (I think) when I try to send it in real time as it appears I need a host to ftp the stream.

I'd be really appreciate if anyone can comment on the application, or offer any advice, etc or suggest a free host who I can trial this with.

Regards, Stephen

Blog Entries
    I think you're on the right track but I just want to clarify something. I assume you need the remote location to be flexible, i.e. you need to have the camera end of the chain mobile and able to travel to any office.

The ideal situation for streaming video is to have the remote PC stream the video directly to your PC, in other words have a server at the remote end which you login to. This would eliminate the need to send the video to a third-party server.

To do this you really need a static IP address at the remote (server) end. Unfortunately this will be difficult (perhaps impossible) with a roaming server. However it could be worth looking into - if there is any way to get a mobile laptop set up with a static IP address, you could turn it into a server which you can login to from anywhere.

If you are stuck with dynamic IP addresses, another option is to set up a system whereby someone at the remote location phones/txts you and tells you their IP address each time you want to connect. I used this method for a VOIP communication system and it worked quite well.

Anyway, all this is assuming that you would prefer to connect directly to the remote location rather than going through another server. If you can find a way to do it, I think it would perform better.

If you want to use another server, I'm afraid I don't know of any services that offer a free trial although I'm sure there are some out there somewhere.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave, thanks for your response which I've only just realised was there.

Some time has passed since then and I'm still working on the project and getting closer, though I've realised there are so many different technologies involved that I'm struggling a bit.

The camera arrived and works great, except that I cant view it online; so I've ordered a new router which should be here in the next day or two. I need that so I can port forward for viewing.

I've also come to the conclusion also that I need to either build a dedicated PC or use a laptop as you say.

I've also downloaded the Helix server from Real and have got it working, though I understand Windows Media Services is also a free download but I cant find the link.

Anyway, watch this space as I'm determined to get this working!

Stephen

VIEWCAST OSPREY 500 VIDEO CAPTURE CARD, without a 'daughter card'

Hi, I've got the opportunity to purchase a VIEWCAST OSPREY 500 VIDEO CAPTURE CARD, but it does not have a 'daughter card'. Can you tell me what the 'daughter card' is for please, and whether or not it would successfully stream without it?

I've started to order up components to build a system, but need a capture card.

Many thanks, Stephen