Fixed camera location

I have a sport fishing boat in which we want to affix cameras in three permanent locations. What I see most people are using are the Sony lipstick cams with 520 res. My question is what should I be using to both view the video real time and what form of recording devise should I use for a/v?

From what I see we should have a form of multiplexer for the cameras to connect into and either a Sony Mini GVD1000 or something like a digital video recorder. Do I need to have a separate recording devise for each camera or can it record into one unit with a multplexer attached or combined within the unit? We will want to edit our footage for our web site or for commercial viewing.

Many thanks for any advise.

Gary

Blog Entries
    Unless there are types of multiplexers I don't know about (quite possible), they provide two options:

(1) Let you switch which video camera is being recorded, just like a vision switcher.
    (2) Feed all camera videos into the same recorder, with each video feed taking up a portion of the screen (this is what you see in security camera situations).

I don't think either of these options will suit you, so I would recommend a separate recording device for each camera. You could use a cheap camcorder with line-in or Firewire as a recording device, but I would certainly do some trials first. If there's much vibration they might not work well. Otherwise you could use record decks or even computers (again, vibration might be a problem).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com