How does mySpace convert video?

Hello. I am planning a site where people can upload video much the way mySpace allows. And, just like mySpace, I'd like to serve the files back out as Flash video. I'm new to this so I'm going to assume that someone has to take the uploaded file and manually convert it to a .flv file. Am I correct in assuming this? Or has mySpace written their own code to automatically do this? Is there any off-the-shelf product that does this? I know that it's difficult to tell what they do, but I'm sure that someone out there knows more than me. Thanks for your replies.

Blog Entries
    I looked into this a little while ago because I was thinking about offering a similar service to go with our free Flash video player, but I couldn't find any off-the-shelf product.

I seriously doubt whether MySpace coverts files manually, I think it's safe to assume they would have a program running on the server to do it automatically.

I wish I knew of such a program. If you find anything, or if anyone else knows of one, I'd love to hear about it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

It is possible to protect your copyright and still use media player 10. Im using this my site, I cant be sure to the technicalities as im only at the business end of things but its doable. The whole video files never gets saved to the user's hard drive.

Ill see if I can find out more.