Weird film technique thing?

Hi i have noticed in alot of tv programs and movies that a technique is being used in which the person or object stays in the middle of the screen when the background does this weird zoom thing. I cant give any examples at this moment but i hope someone else will have an idea of what i am talking about.

Blog Entries
    Hi jeshe0 -

Your observation is basically correct. It is a zoom while the camera simultaneously dollies or tracks (forward or backwards) opposite on the way the zoom is going.

If the lens zooms into someone facing the camera, you have to move the camera backwards so that you don't zoom into the person's nose . Since the person acts more of a reference point, that must not change - however the rest of the environment will take on a different perspective.

Does it makes sense to you?
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Blog Entries
    It's called a "Dolly Zoom" or "Hitchcock Zoom" (having been made famous by Alfred Hitchcock).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thx

Hey thanks for the quick reply. Yep that is exactly what i meant.(And to do it is exactly wat i thought you would have to do) Im supprised hitchcock made it famous. Its definately a weird zoom though.

Blog Entries
    I don't even recall what movies I have seen this technique used in. But now that you've mentioned Hitchcock, the light just got switched on for me .
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

In a way, this technique is being overused. It's commonly used to show some sort of intensity or realization in the scene, like in Behind Enemy Lines, when it does a Dolly Zoom while the one Serbian guy fully realizes that he just stepped on a mine which will explode as soon as he takes his foot off.