Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

720x360 Edition v1.05

Version 1.05 has been released. Changes from v1.04 include:

The default file variable dfile can now be either a number or a file URL. The old defvid variable is deprecated but still works. A new variable, dfileaction, allows you to control the default file's behaviour (play automatically and/or highlight in playlist).

We have provided an external JavaScript file to create the embedding code. This method is optional but recommended. The three main advantages are:
    (1) It fixes the "Click to activate" problem in IE.
    (2) It makes configuring player variables easier.
    (3) It allows you to dynamically link to the player and specify a default file to play, e.g. www.example.com/video.html?dfile=filetoplay.flv.

You can change the colours in the Info Screen when using txt mode with the new infoheadcl, infotxtcl and infobg variables.

There have been a few changes under the hood for this edition so please let me know if you experience any problems. Also, I'm making a lot of changes to the documentation so let me know if you spot any typos or things that don't make sense.

Note: I'd like to keep this thread devoted to issues with this version. I'll start a new thread for discussing the next version, including the MP3/seekbar issue etc.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Download link

Thanks so much. Where can I download it?

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that it's available from the download page.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

js

Found it and downloaded it.

I won't be able to use the javascript file because I embed the player in my forum thread everytime I have a new video. And it would mean everytime I would have to upload a new js file as my dfile is different everytime which would be a little too much for me. Is there no way to have a js option and at the same time be able to set the parameters directly from the swf embed code so that we dont have to upload a new js for every file?

Blog Entries
    This should be possible but I'm not 100% clear on what your needs are.

Basically, the whole js thing is independent of the player file so you can write whatever js code you like to make it work. For example, you could write a short piece of js code which only takes the query string and makes it into a flashvar which gets added to your HTML code.

What exactly do you need in the way of a js option? Is it the query string option? If so there could be issues with using this in forum messages as there may already be query strings present in the URL (I could probably find a workaround for this).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

js

Quote: Dave
    Basically, the whole js thing is independent of the player file so you can write whatever js code you like to make it work. For example, you could write a short piece of js code which only takes the query string and makes it into a flashvar which gets added to your HTML code.
    Yes, I think something like that. I want to be able set all the paramters in the main flash object html code and still want to solve the IE click problem with a js file so I can have a common js file for all my player embeds which may individually have different parameters in the html code.

What exactly do you need in the way of a js option? Is it the query string option? If so there could be issues with using this in forum messages as there may already be query strings present in the URL (I could probably find a workaround for this).
    I dont quite understand the word "query string" due to a lack of technical knowledge. But as per my above explanations if you can make a js independent of parameters and which can work with parameters set in the html code itself, it would be very kind of you.

Blog Entries
    I see. Unfortunately that's not possible due to the nature of the IE problem. The fix requires that the embedding code is entirely generated by an external script - if you use standard HTML embedding the problem will remain.

My personal feeling is that this problem will eventually disappear when Microsoft fixes it themselves. Although the problem apparently still exists in the next version of IE, I can't imagine that Microsoft is happy about having this annoyance in their browser while other browsers like Firefox are free of it. We might need to be patient but I believe it is a temporary issue.

A query string is the part which is added to the end of a URL after the question mark, e.g. the URL www.example.com/video.html?dfile=filetoplay.flv has the query string dfile=filetoplay.flv. This is used (for our purposes) to indicate the default file.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

js

Quote: Dave
    I see. Unfortunately that's not possible due to the nature of the IE problem. The fix requires that the embedding code is entirely generated by an external script - if you use standard HTML embedding the problem will remain.
    No problem, thanks so much for trying to help.

My personal feeling is that this problem will eventually disappear when Microsoft fixes it themselves. Although the problem apparently still exists in the next version of IE, I can't imagine that Microsoft is happy about having this annoyance in their browser while other browsers like Firefox are free of it. We might need to be patient but I believe it is a temporary issue.
    That may never happen because it is due to the EOLAS patent, a legal affair between Microsoft on one side and the University of California and its licensee Eolas Technologies Inc on the other as described here.

Apostrophe problem?

Thanks for releasing this latest version, and for the javascript implementation. It makes it very easy to make corrections and modifications.

I did notice one problem: The player fails to play audio files that have an apostrophe in the name (e.g., Don't Get Me Wrong.mp3). Problem files play normally when I rename them and remove the apostrophes from the <file label> and <url> tags in the playlist.

Cheers and thanks always,

James

Hi Dave,

I appreciate your efforts in getting rid of the "click to activate" on the player...it works great! I used the same remedy for the banner at the top of my pages. Please view at http://planetpayson.com/indexhi.html
    Thanks again!

Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast