Mod of a Sony DCR-VX2100

so i have a Sony DCR-VX2100 and the mic got broken off (dosn't really matter cause i use a unbalance shotgun mic anyway)

so i was wondering, would it be possible for me to instead of repalcing the mic, wire up like 2 xlr inputs? that way i can invest in a nice Sennheiser MKH418S or somthing not to mention plug my handhelds directly in!

thanks!

I don't have too much experience with XLR's, but as long as you've got the right wiring to connect them, you probably could do it. Granted, you would have to be sure to mount them steadily to the cam, as XLR ports are quiet large and the cables are usually kind of heavy (if I'm not mistaken). Also, you could run into a problem with cords dangling in your shots and having to constantly remove them.

BTW, that Sennheiser mic looks a lot like that one that my video/film group just got, except we got two mono ones that we use as left and right. Does some very nice audio, just be sure to get covers to protect against wind noise.

Hi fatcat125,

Sure you can wire up ( or lets's say wire under the camera ) 2 mics.
    You just need this: "Beachtek DXA-4 Audio Adapter - for Sony VX2100 Camcorder". You mount this adapter under your camcorder. Then connect
    up to 2 mics. Each of them can be recorded on separate track.
    Just do not forget to get a nice softie (windshield) for your ext. mic.

You may also take in consideration one on-camera mounted mic and another one hand-held if you wanna make interviews. Good interviews with good results.

Very recently, I was recording some interviews with ext. Sennheiser
    xxXxx (i don't remember the number) mounted on my camcorder (sony 2100) with strong backround noise (amplified talks) and although
    the mic is very directional, the result is very poor.

You may have a look at bhphotovideo.com for detailed information about the XLR audio adapter and many more.

(for Dave: I hope I didn't cross any rules or boundaries about the link. If I did, please delete the link.)

Libor

I do believe that he would like to have the XLR built into his camera permanently, not as an external mic adaptor. The easiest way i can think of is to buy one of those boxes and solder (or however you plan to connect) the wire onto the wires that had the mic. Then you just have to find a way to mount it, and you may want to modify the adaptor's case.

Wov,

you must be pretty courages to do that. I am not.
    I just do not want to loose my warranty services.

Libor

If he's lobbed off his mic accidentally already, chances are his warranty is pretty much void as it is.