Using Balanced Cables

As with most newbie questions in forums, mine may also be over-asked or just plain dumb.

I play Synthophone (midi wind controller).
    My Synthophone sends midi in to 2 separate sound modules with audio out.
    Audio out goes to a non powered Crate mixer.
    Crate mixer out to a Presonus Firebox (firewire) interface which goes to my computer BUT ALSO has audio out to Crate powered speakers.

I also have an Edirol SD20 synth used only when rendering midi to audio for recording

Is there any harm using ALL balanced audio cables, even if one or more modules are unbalanced?

Thanks in advance,
    Mick

Audio out goes to a non powered Crate mixer

What are these two mudules? If they have trs outs, then yes, go trs all the way.

I also have an Edirol SD20 synth used only when rendering midi to audio for recording

This is firewire. no trs (I think, according to the web site)

use trs wherever the specs say you can.
    Last edited by penniesfromheaven; 18th Mar 2007 at 00:33.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Hi,
    Thanks for replying.

Audio out goes to a non powered Crate mixer

What are these two mudules? If they have trs outs, then yes, go trs all the way.

This is firewire. no trs (I think, according to the web site)
    use trs wherever the specs say you can.

The modules are VL70m & XV2020 1/4" jacks (L & R)
    Edirol is RCA (I use RCA to 1/4")

Mick

The XV2020 and VL70m do not have balanced outs (TRS, or tip, ring, sleeve), but left/right 1/4 inch TS (tip, sleeve). You have to change it to TRS to use a balanced input. If your mixer has unbalanced 1/4 inch inputs just use standard guitar cables. (this will use up 2 channels on the mixer).

If the mixer has only balanced inputs you will use "baluns" (in-line transformers, available at Radio Shack) to make the switch to balanced cable. Put the baluns as close to the modules as possible.This is the correct way, and you will have some noise canceling (good). This will also use 2 mixer channels.

You can also make the cables yourself with TS on one end and TRS on the other, but it won't be balanced (hence no noise cancellation). This is generally a bad way of doing it, and I don't recommend it. However, many try it, and I mention it here only in the hope they will not. You would do this by connecting the tip of the TS to the tip of the TRS, and then the sleeve of the TS to the ring of the TRS, and leaving the sleeve of the TRS unconnected.

For the Firebox-to-monitors connections, use good quality unbalanced cables. Balanced will work, but not better, since almost all powered monitor ins are unbalanced. The rings will not be connected, just the tips and sleeves.

For the Edirol SD20, RCA to 1/4 inch unbalanced is fine.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'