Thread: Subgroups help!

Subgroups help!

Hope someone can help, we're doing the sound for a big outdoor event, we have a Behringer UB2442FX (we're not using the FX) bit but have added a couple of processors one of which we've put in the main insert, the other on an aux send and return. We want to feed the amps via the 4 subgroups so that we can control the volume to 4 separate areas, we need the processor to appear on all subgroups, but it seems that we can only have treated signal on one group at a time, all the others remain dry. With less than 2 weeks to go till we set up, we need a solution! Any ideas?

Yes, but it requires sacrificing a channel or 2 on your board. Route the aux bus 1 send only(or the stereo pair, usually the last 2 aux busses on the channel strip for stereo fx if your board has it, but I imagine you aren't doing anything here in stereo) to the first fx processor's input(s), its output(s) to the next processor's input(s), etc. The output(s) of the last processor will then return to a normal channel strip input(s), assuming you have a spare(s). This channel is now your master fx return. Assign this channel to all the subgroups at once, (as I would guess you are assigning all the channels this way), which gives all the subgroups exactly the same fx mix. Now, to mix the individual processors for this arrangement is an excercise in gain structure, (and patience) since most processors have input level, output level controls as well as dry/wet mix controls. Set your system up for a dry run a few days before in the basement or whatever to get these levels all adjusted in advance and mark the settings. That will help in the ensuing panic, because there is a downside. If one processor dies, they all die! Of course you could return each processor to its own channel strip if you have them available, using an aux bus send only to feed each processor, which in my opinion makes for even more fun on-the-fly live mixing.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Just curious, what processor are you running on all of your outputs? Running the return into a channel strip as suggested would work, though...

Alesis Midiverb 2 on aux 1, Yamaha SPX 90 on aux 2, and a Rev 7 on 3.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'