Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need sound advice

Hello, everyone:
    I am new to the forum. I am about to launch my own production company (who isn't these days?) and have some barebone equipment...Canon xl1s, mac with Final cut...and would like to make a purchase of sound equipment that would cover my indoor/outdoor production needs. What mikes, mixers, mounts, etc. would you purchase if you were starting your own company? I need to rent EVERYTHING!

Thanks.

fantomx7owner

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking....

Shotgun mic
    Boom pole
    Hand-held mic
    Pair of wireless lapel mics

Perhaps a portable mixer but I wouldn't consider it a priority. The XL1S has four audio inputs if you need them (although I think there's a quality compromise).

Of course a lot depends on the type of work you'll be doing. Maybe you'll never use a lap mic and maybe you'll need a proper mic stand. I think the items above are a good general start though.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Most ENG shoots I see now are using Sound devices ENG/EFP mixers, even a small movie shoot I was on the other day.. If you are acting as aone-man show you can use the inputs you have available, but there will definitely be a deficit in quality.

All the other suggestions are good, a good Boom mic, a couple of lavs, stick mic, headphones...

Thanks

Dave and Bassred, thanks for the suggestions. I will look into mixers, I am a little leery of a direct input to XL1.

FXO

Thinking beyond location audio, you may want to consider putting together a basic narration set up. Something a little sexier than a lavaliere or a stick mike into a location mixer, recorded into your camera.

I truly believe that audio has become the red headed stepchild to video. It's not until you hear a serious professional signal chain that you realize what we have come to accept as quality audio. I have a small case that contains a nice fat juicy microphone preamp, and a high quality compressor, along with several go to microphones. I mostly record directly to NLE. I love the look on peoples faces when they first hear the playback. Especially the older narrators. The guys that started in radio. It has certainly made a difference in my work, and it's really not as costly as it would seem.

DinoG

What is NLE?

Hi,

Can you explain your audio recording setup in more detail so that I (newbie) may understand and duplicate?

Thanks,

bugleboy62

my audio set up is the following:

2xAudio-Technica Deluxe Shotgun Microphone Kit - Includes: AT-4073a Shotgun Microphone, Universal Shockmount, Rycote Softie, Cabled Boom Pole, Universal Hand Grip and Right Angled XLR Cables.

4xLectrosonics 100 Series Deluxe Kit - Includes: 100 Series Wireless Lavalier System, UH400 Plug-In Transmitter, Tram TR-50 Omni-directional Microphone, ENG Microphone, Case and Accessories

3xShure SM58 Handheld Microphone

Wendt X3 ENG/EFP Basic Field Mixer Kit - Includes: Wendt X3 Field Mixer, Sony MDR V6 Studio Headphones, Headphone Softies, 25-foot XLR Cable and Cable Carrier

as well as the mic mounted on each camera
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

id say change the mixer to alesis multimix-16 usb prolly

great pres in that n its pretty portable

cheap basterds could use that for even recording music if u can eq it rite because the preamps are pretty amazing

idk y u would need sm58s, 4 overdubing juz use a diaphram condenser, like a at2020 (cheap), rodes ntk (mid), or a neuman (great)

prolly want to change the shotgun to shan mkh416

but at4073a is pretty good

I would say that you would use them because when you're shooting video, you don't want to have a microphone blocking someone's entire face. When you're going on location, you need things as mobile as possible. That means lightweight, able to withstand being thrown around, and small. A multimix 16 usb is not meant for field productions, except maybe for recording a gig, and even then, why the USB?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast