Sound performance in jeopardy

I have been working with a friend on her sound project being shown today.
    Unfortunately there is a cabling problem which I can't solve because the showing is far away.
    The active speakers being used (Genlec 8030a) accept XLR input. However
    the cables being used are XLR with an additional short XLR to 1/4" jack converter cable connected on the end which is plugged into the interface output (MOTU 828mk11) which only accepts 1/4" jack.
    Unfortunately it turns out that the XLR to jack cable has a stereo jack on the end and not a mono jack and no signal is getting through.
    To remedy this situation I intend to instruct her to re-wire the jack so that
    it behaves as a normal mono jack (ie to disconnect the ring and to solder it to the sleeve with the -ve wire) I think this should fix it but what I am unsure of is whether the re-wired stereo jack will work in the interface ok(ie still pick up the signal despite it's slightly different shape) or will it need to be replaced by a mono jack instead.
    The show is taking place in the country far away from music shops and my friend is not very technicaally minded so a simple solution is needed.
    Any advice most gratefully recieved.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I can only give a fast, unconsidered answer as I'm in the middle of a job myself. Normally I'd wait and think this through properly but I can see time is critical.

Anyway, I believe your plan is sound. Using a stereo jack in a mono socket is fine - the ring will just be ignored.

If I've misinterpreted or got this wrong, please someone jump in and say so. I'll check back tomorrow - let us know how it goes. Good luck.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the cable. I did notice that this particular speaker also has an output. Can you confirm the connection is correct. The cable to the speaker should be XLR male.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thanks for the replies.
    In the end she drove a long distance to find XLR to jack convertors not being up to the soldering.
    SC358 ... the speaker connection is an XLR female not male ( i just checked on the genelec website) i hadn't realized that the other is an output (thanks for pointing it out).
    Anyhow the performance went well in the end
    thanks again
    Gaz

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update Gaz. Glad to hear it went well
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Ok Gaz - I was taking the odds that it was some overlooked situation that was creating the problem rather than 2 cables for 2 speakers being defective. In regards to the audio loss, rewiring balanced to unbalance wouldn't be a complete loss of said signal. Of course cables shouldn't be ruled out because anything is possible.

All the best!!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.