wriing 1/4 mono to XLR

Is there a way to hard wire a conversion from a female 1/4" to XLR instead of using an adapter?

I've seen this posted here, but can the reverse be done?

Thanks.

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/co...jack-mono.html

Blog Entries
    Absolutely. You just need to identify the correct points to solder and it's no different. How easy it is will depend on the connector but in most cases you can figure out which pin connects to which solder point.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks for responding so quickly. Can you answer another question for me? I am unsure of when to use Lo Z and Hi Z inputs and outputs. Can you clarify this for me? Perhaps suggesting which types of equipment would use the different connection.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    "Z" refers to a circuit's impedence or put simply, resistance - not a low signal as in microphone level. Lo Z or Hi Z, whether a signal source or an input to a piece of equipment should be matched to one another. Most Lo Z generating signals is a microphone. Very few pieces of equipment have a Lo Z output (so beware of such options). However there are some audio equipment that have microphone inputs that are Hi Z, this is when the adapter with transformer is necessary so that the Lo Z mic can be used with a piece of equipment that only has a Hi Z mic input.

I hope this makes some sense. If not, please let me know and I'll do my best to re-word and make it less technical.... unless someone else can do that for me
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thanks for your help.

Is there a "rule of thumb" for conneting equipment? Is it safe to say that you want to connect "Low z" to "Low z" and "Hi z" to "Hi z" and "Line" to "Line."

In this regard, it seems that balanced connections are better than unbalanced. Is this true? I've tried a comparision and it seems like the signal is a little "brighter."

So can the connections be ranked?

Balanced = Best
    unbalanced = Good

yup, but more accurately:
    Balanced-less noisy
    Unbalanced-more noisy
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Great!

Thanks so much for all the help!

Marc.

Blog Entries
    Well said! I concur with my collegue from heaven!!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thanks, SC358
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'