uploading with ftp then what?

Hi, I can get my files up to the server okay, but then where do I put them?

I'm trying to simply load a small "under construction" page with 4 files.
    1 css, 1 html, 2 gifs. Any suggestions as to which folders these go into. I've tried various configurations but I can't see the page online.

Or is there a web site with some info?

Thanks
    Barca

found my answer

Hi, noticed there were 10 views but no suggestions, wonder why?

Anyway what I found might help someone in the future.
    It seems you have to keep the same hierarchy of folders that is made by your programme ie Dreamweaver, go live etc and put them in possibly the public_html folder. You should also have a single file called index.html and this should go in the same public_html folder.

You may not be able to upload whole folders so make folders with the same names, same hierarchy and put the files in their correct folders.

This worked for me so far, not sure about the whole web site.
    This at least gives you something to try.

Cheers
    Barca

Blog Entries
    Quote: Barca
    View Post
    Hi, noticed there were 10 views but no suggestions, wonder why?
    Perhaps none of those 10 people knew the answer. Sorry, sometimes replies don't come instantly.

Anyway, glad you've found the answer. What normally happens is that you have a "master" folder on the server for your hosting account, and within that folder you'll have a folder for your website. This is usually called something like "public_html" or "www". As you say, you just need to upload all your website files, with the same directory structure, into this folder.

You should be able to upload whole folders - if you can't then something is wrong.

We have some tutorials which cover this basic groundwork here. It's a very good idea to learn this stuff before you begin constructing your website.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com