Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Studio

Studio

Hello

Im 15 and into technology and things like that, so as a project of mine im going to do a videocast about technology news and other little things.

It will be recorded in my bedroom with a black background behind me whilst a speak to the camera.

Im reletively new to video production so i need abit of help.

This is what i have.

2 mini dv camcorders.

A pc more than capable of a editing job

A shure sm57 microphone

Their are going to be 2 of us on screan so i will need another microphone. Is their anything else im going to need?

Thanx

from the fridge
    i wish i had done more video stuff in school.

other things you might need

-lighting
    -head cleaner - i was doing a video for uni and the heads got dirty just as i needed to capture stuff. had to wait 3 hours for class to finish and a 10km drive to the shop that sold them
    -tripods
    -maybe a monitor so you can see what you are doing

that's all i can think of

Hey

Thanx for the suggestions, i have a tripod so their one thing off the list.
    However you mentioned a moniter, what sort of moniter do you suggest? Would a simply pc moniter do?

You also mentioned lighting, do you have any links to what i should be looking at?

Last thing, i mentioned using my shure sm57 microphone, whould two of those be ok to record?, Or would i be better purchasing was of those mics which clip on the top of the camera?

Thanx

Blog Entries
    Usually there are 3 lights in a kit but this can be expensive. My own suggestion is (for now) use the lights that have the spring clamps and round metal reflector. It's very cheap and a good way to start off.

Otherwise, if you can find a way to get a real lighting kit, it would be a better experience overall. My own experience was to have my parents and my friends parents help invest in certain interests of myself and friends. And these were numerous things throughout our teen years - an enlarger, safety light, photo papers because we were into b&w photography (yes, I'm a bit old). Later on materials to build portable stage lights because some of my friends were in a band. These lights also doubled for other types of lighting with our photo sessions.

I don't know if this really helps but sometimes you have to go through different doorways to get to where you need to be.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Instead of a black screen how about a green screen then you can have what ever background you want by using a back ground image of your choise. Something that suits the topic at hand. Like they do on the news.

Just a thought.
    Cheers, westie.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

from the fridge
    i think a tv would work as a monitor. It might not have all the adjustments of a proper studio monitor, but it gives a better view of what you are doing, and being in a fixed location, it's not as if you need to move around much.

as for lighting and microphones, i have no idea, but it looks like the others have got it sorted!! i only use a cheap sony handycam with an internal microphone.

Blog Entries
    Westie brings up a very good point - I LIKE IT!!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hey

Thanx for the brillent advice all !!! I just still need to ask a few more questions, if you helpful bunch don't mind

Westie, i am fairly knew to this and maybe this sounds quite stupid but by green screan to you actual mean a green screan? i.e. a wall or something painted green?

If that is the case and you said that i could have any background i want, what do you mean by that? Video editing?

When i get home i will post a link up to some lighting suggestions which i hope you guys can comment on.

Thanx

from the fridge
    i did some blue screening for an assignment at uni. Pretty much the whole film was bluescreened. I shot the footage of me acting in front of a blue sheet strung up in the church hall, then did the shots of the scenery and other actors. Used premiere pro 1.5 to put them together

here is a frame from the video of me (wearing a towel). the stuff around the outside is just from a dodgy frame capture, the original was all blue

here is a frame from the final video. the lego man was 2cm tall

It can be either a green or blue screen but most are green. Either paint a wall or hang up a sheet or piece of material thats large enough to fill your background. It needs to be evenly lit so theres no shadows/highlights etc.

When your in the editing stage you place the background image in an overlay track.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast