Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Here's how i see it....
    If you measure the volume with a meter (PPM or VU or whatever), it is NOT louder.
    If you use your ears to 'measure' the volume, it IS louder.

Or put another way....audio on television ads is technically not louder than the audio on programs, but it sure sounds like it!!!

PS...has anyone used a decibel meter from the armchair in front of the TV to measure the difference? I'd be interested to know the result!

Now there's an interesting angle. When I say, ads cannot be louder than programming, I mean the total electrical signal level, all audio frequencies combined, has a fixed maximum.

However, in most kinds of programming, most of the audio energy is in the low frequencies. Ergo, if you turn down the bass, there's a lot more room left over for mid and high frequencies.

At fairly low listening levels, the ear is less sensitive to low frequencies. Taking this into account, decibel meters usually offer a choice between "C" weighting, which is close to flat, and "A" weighting, which gives extra weight to mid and mid-high frequencies.

So, if the makers of an ad deliberately reduce low frequencies and concentrate the sound in the mid frequencies, an "A" weighted decibel meter will show a higher reading, even though the absolute sound level is the same. And this correlates with the subjective impression. A watt of bass doesn't sound as loud as a watt of midrange.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234