Best video editing/movie-making title

I will soon be making/editing/burning a home video from about 20-30 VHS tapes, recording them digitally into my computer/external hd, and editing from there. I was wondering what the best software title there was for this type of project. I have the version of MS Movie Maker that came bundled on my pc when I bought it, but I'm sure there are better inexspensive titles out there. And are the self editing titles worth looking into?

Thanks in advance for your response.

If your new to it then i would look at something like Ulead Video Studio10 or Pinnacle Studio10 or Premiere Elements.

They are reasonably easy to get to grips with and from either one of them you can move on up to their bigger brother programs which have alot more features included in them.
    There's also Sony Vegas which is supposed to be a good program but i have never used.

You could always download the trial versions and have a play to see which one you like the best or find easiest to use.
    You can also find trial versions on cover disc's of computer magazines. Either keep an eye out at the local magazine store or go to your local libary and look thru the back issues.

Westie.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

If you like headaches and frustrations galore, by all means get Pinnacle Studio 10.x.

The software is VERY buggy. It crashes alot and the features aren't that many. It does, however, give you a chance to get more features for more $$.

Don't take my solitary word on how bad it is. Check out what others are saying.

Go with Sony's Vegas or Adobe Premiere instead.

Video Programs

Here are some free(open source) software that will work too.

http://lives.sourceforge.net/

http://www.kinodv.org/

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5625

http://www.jahshaka.org/component/op...,29/Itemid,49/

I use a program called video explosion deluxe version 1.5. It is simple, but you can do a lot with it. That is what I use to produce all of my church's video. http://www.asenashop.com/ivn/pr-0/5485.html

This might be a little harder to find, it has been out of production for the last year. But ebay, google, or froogle would be a good start to find one. I like it because it has 3 audio & 3 video tracks on it.
    Thanks,
    Paul Wood

Just to stick my two pennyworth in...
    Big Up for Sony Vegas. You can buy Sony Vegas Movie Studio for around 70 here in the UK as opposed to its big brother Sony Vegas 7.0b + Architect 4 which will cost around 350. Dont let my name put you off...I have nothing to do with Sony I just took it coz I was so impressed with the ease of use and stability of Vegas after having tried almost every other NLE under the sun.It has never crashed on me and its very user friendly.

Yep i`d definately try a version of vegas.

Im also looking into a new editing system. I can't get fcp because I dont have a mac computer. I need it to have Hd capabilities, a lot of plug ins if possible and has good codec's for transferring it to dvd's and downloading it to the web. Im looking for the best system here no cheapies money is not an opition. I already Have ulead mediastudio pro 7 and ulead dvd workshop 2.

Ulead pro 7 or 10 is indeed a good place to start for a beginner though I find there dvd workshop 2 for transferring to dvd to restrictive.

Quote: meddler
    View Post
    Im also looking into a new editing system. I can't get fcp because I dont have a mac computer. I need it to have Hd capabilities, a lot of plug ins if possible and has good codec's for transferring it to dvd's and downloading it to the web. Im looking for the best system here no cheapies money is not an opition. I already Have ulead mediastudio pro 7 and ulead dvd workshop 2.

Ulead pro 7 or 10 is indeed a good place to start for a beginner though I find there dvd workshop 2 for transferring to dvd to restrictive.
    Ok so here is where i come in and give you my opinion. If you are going to be doing a lot of HD stuff, it IS WORTH it to go buy an mac and get FCP i also understand this may not be an option due to financial restraints. In this case i would use nothing other than Avid Xpress Pro HD. I have both, and Highly recommend FCP. However. the Avid is not far off. There is also adobie Premere. I have never used this program, where as i find it to look complicated, but it is set up a lot like After Effects, so if you are use to After effects, i am sure you can pick it up if you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me.