basic audio questions

Hi,

I have some questions I would like to ask, forgive my ignorance since I am new in the audio world.

1. What was the reason for the 44.1khz samplingrate for audio codecs? Is this derived matehmatically?

2. Related to number 1, how will i determine the sampling rate for an audio codec?

3. Any websites for newbies for this kind of questions?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Quote: johann_elijah
    View Post
    1. What was the reason for the 44.1khz samplingrate for audio codecs? Is this derived matehmatically?
    Hello and welcome johann_elijah,
    Just my own opinion (at least for now until someone with better details can give us the real deal!) 44.1KHz started off with cd. Don't forget, cd's were on the consumer market since early 90's and home computer processors were a whopping 10MHz, yes ten megahertz. So since technology was at a certain speed at that time, that would be the best sampling rate engineers could provide (for the new technology that was being created). I think the number is a by-product rather than the goal. So in regards to your question, today's codecs are set for cd quality.

Well - that's my story and I'm sticking to it....
    Last edited by SC358; 21st Aug 2006 at 04:11.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.