Experimental shots.

Hello everone, I am Hassaan hailing from Pakistan, I am a passionate aspiring film-maker, and have made a few unofficial amateur song videos. Currently I have made and bought some equipments and I need help, tips and advices regarding them.
    I own a dolly, monitor, boom mic, reflectors, lights and a Sony mini dv consumerish camera. I have made the dolly, reflectors and lights myself. The lights are in wooden boxes with barn doors. THe boxes are of different sizes and the lights ranges from 100 watts to 1000 watts.
    I have gone through the interesting articles in this site and they are very helpful. Now I am a little confused in how to manage all the equipments, and since I dont have a propper team how can I make experimental shots ?Plus, I am in high school and I dont have much time, so what should I do as an optimum use of my equipments which require less time and can help me learn at the same time ? Please reply.

Dave you also reply here please.

Blog Entries
    Hi Hassaan, welcome to the forum.

The best way to learn is with other people. Is there any way you could get a group of other interested people together? Perhaps form a club or project group?

Maybe if you could come up with a script for a short film you might be able to convince a few people to volunteer to help. I think you will need help if you're going to try out your dolly etc.

On the other hand you could start out by trying some simple shots by yourself. Look for interesting shots in films and see if you can replicate them yourself. Try doing a "dolly zoom" (I'm going to make a quick tutorial on that subject very soon).

Keep an eye out for interesting things to shoot in your neighbourhood, e.g. sports games and other events. Try to shoot some shots as if you were providing a news story.

Anyone else got any good suggestions?

BTW, nice effort making that stuff yourself - well done!
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Quote: Dave
    Try doing a "dolly zoom" (I'm going to make a quick tutorial on that subject very soon).
    Here it is: Short explanation of the Dolly Zoom. Comments are welcome.

Note: I recommend this as a good practice exercise but be careful if you plan to use it - it's a bit of a cliché.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Greetings Hassaan,

Dave's suggestion of a group effort is a high priorty. In this field of production it is a team effort based on accomplishing one particular goal under a schedule - that is how it is in the real world (with many twists and turns, sometimes unforseen ).

Doing news is a good project. I have my own suggestion as well - do a commercial. This will get you through all aspects of the field and it's not as easy as it looks. As another suggestion - don't use any special video effects. Get through the basic simulation - master your technical basics and all puzzles will fall into place.

Btw, if your not having fun with it - it's just another job.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thanks a lot Dave(espesically for the encouragement and the dolly article) and SC 358 ! really good advices. i ll definitely follow them. And as for the commercial and news shots should i do the planning or do it directly ?

SC 358, i din get this part !
    Btw, if your not having fun with it - it's just another job.

And please can u brief a little more about making a commercial and the news video ? How should i start ? and what should be my approach ?

Blog Entries
    Sorry about not being clear. It is a small work philosophy I have. Whatever work you do in life, you would choose a career that you would enjoy. Some people are forced to work jobs that do not challenge their level of intellect and spirit but they need the money. There may be lots of opportunities in one field but nothing for the work you'd be most happy to do.

So my comment was just that anyone (not just you) would recognize if you were happy or not while doing work.... and if you didn't, it's just temporary work until something better comes along.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Yes film making is what I am going to choose as my career. And I have mentioned before that I am a passionate aspiring filmmaker. I really enjoy and am happy when I read, watch or do anything related to film-making. Infact I really agree to what you pointed out as your philosphy and this is what I have been debating over with my parents.
    It is very true, until and unless a person is not interested in his job and does not enjoy it he won't be motivated and thus there will be productivity, plus he'll not be happy.