Kevin Larkin

Connecting 2 VCRs When Only 1 Has Stereo AV Jacks

Hello.

I have 2 VCRs- a Samsung (NTSC only) with stereo AV jacks, and an AIWA NTSC/PAL VCR with converted, but which does not have stereo AV jacks.

I would like to conenct both to the same TV (NTSC, with stereo AV jacks).

Could I connect the 2 VCRs with RF cables, then connect the record VCR (the Samsung) to the TV by AV jacks?

Or does everything need to be connected with RF die to the 1 weak link in the chain?

The ultimate goals are to be able to witch between VCRs without crawling behind the sets, and to record NTSC copies of our PAL collection, since I have no idea how long the AIWA (bought used) is likely to last.

In case it matters, the TV is not connected to a cable box or dish, but to an aerial.

Thanks very much!

-kl

Kevin Larkin

Re: Connecting 2 VCRs When Only 1 Has Stereo AV Ja

Thanks for the quick reply.

Assuming the snow (we are in NYC) slows down a bit today, I may run out and get an RF cable and try connecting the 2 VCRs by RF, but the record VCR to the TV by AV jacks. It has taken me 6 months to get around to trying this, so a weather-induced delay of 1 day won't be the end of the world.

-kl

J.W.Powell

connecting 2 vcrs

Dear Mr.Larkin,

I have 2 vcrs and wish to record from one to the other,i have tried varios scaart combinationo no avails plus the rf leads The 2 vcrs have twin scart sockets.Could you please advise me.

Blog Entries

Re: connecting 2 vcrs

First of all read:
    http://www.mediacollege.com/video/ed...nect-vcrs.html

Then check:
    - The output from your source machine is plugged into the input of the record machine.
    - The record machine has the correct input selected.

After that, if it still doesn't work, please provide as much detailed information as possible, including:
    - The brand and model of the VCRs.
    - The exact labels of the sockets on the VCRs you are plugging into.
    - The *exact* sysmptoms, i.e. exactly what happens when you try to record.

Don Boggs

You could also go to Radio Shack and buy a RCA splitter that would split out the one audio connector to wind up with two. You would not wind up with true stereo but, you could then "hardwire" the two VCRs and have a better recording.

Blog Entries

You can connect your system the way you describe, i.e. The AIWA is the source machine and the Samsung is the record machine. Just remember that connections which use the RF will be inferior to the AV connections, so you arean't getting the best quality recording.

Actually I'm not convinced that you'll be able to record PAL onto your NTSC machine anyway. You may find that the signal coming out of the PAL VCR is good enough to watch on a TV but not recordable. In any case, give it a try and see what happens.

Your aerial can plug straight into the TV as it does now, or you could plug it into one of the VCRs if you want to record TV programmes.

Let us know how you get on or if you have any problems.