Peter Cavanagh

Photoshop Question

Running winxp and photoshop5.5, when I save a file it is saved as JPG but the 'save as' window shows nothing is in it, although all saved matter is in the original folder. its just a bit of a bug that i cant seem to get a handle on. I dont know if it is a windows problem or photoshop. I some times in the past have downloaded two pictures from different sites with the same title and it was possible to re-name it in the 'save-as' window. now I cannot do this.
    Hope someone can help. Many thanks for your time

Blog Entries

Re: Photoshop Question

I'm not 100% sure what you mean. When you say the 'save as' window has nothing in it, do you mean the folder you want to save in contains no files? Or do you mean there is no file name in the file field?

What type of file is Photoshop trying to save as? i.e. a PSD, JPG, etc? Can you change the file type? Can you enter a file name?

Peter Cavanagh

thanks ,
    I can change the file name but no matter what it is nothing will show in the "save as" window when I try to save any other photos. windows extensions are all ok. THe main file shows a list of the saved material but not as jpg only as Photoshop image or acdsee image etc.This is nothing critical and it only started when I bought a new computer and started using winxp home.

Blog Entries

I'm still not exactly clear what you mean when you say nothing shows in the "save as" window. There are four main parts to this window:
    (1) "Save In" - The name of the selected folder.
    (2) Main pane - the part of the window which shows a list of the files in the selected folder
    (3) "File Name"
    (4) "Format"

Do you mean that there are no files listed in the main pane (2)? If so, remember that only files of the same format as selected in (4) will show up. For example, if the selected format is JPG, then the main pane will only show the JPG files in the selected folder. Change the format to PSD and the PSD files will show up. If there are no JPG or PSD files, nothing will show up at all.

If this is not the problem than I'm just about out of ideas.