Recovering a tape

Is it possible to recover any footage once its been recorded over or is it lost forever. I have a problem with some footage i was filming at the weekend. I was filming at a bike show and one of my guys captured some nice footage, being so pleased with himself he then watched it back on the camera ( not something i like any of the guys doing ) anyway he then continued filming and forgot that he`d been watching the tape and recorded straight over the previous recording. Please please please help if possible

Blog Entries
    Basically I think you're stuffed. I have heard of forensic video experts being able to partially recover footage but even if it is possible it's likely to be insanely expensive and you'll never get the actual footage back. Even in theory the best you could hope for would be a very poor-quality glimpse of what might have been.

I really don't think there's any way to recover your lost footage.

Still, I'm no expert in this area. I'd be happy to be proven wrong. BTW, what format is the video?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Its on mini dv tape in pal.

Blog Entries
    Okay, I've just done some double-checking with an engineer and searched some forensic video resources just in case I've missed something. I haven't - the sad truth is that your footage is gone forever.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

To be honest thats what i was expecting but someone said it could be recovered. So i thought i`d check it out

Thanks for your help