lights, dolly and tracks.

Over these days, I didn't get plenty of time to visit the forums and write ! But fortunately I got time today and here I am asking yet another questions.

1)I read about Iris in the tutorial section but I dont exactly know what really it is! And do Sony Cameras have these option ? I have got DCR-TRV 18E.
    Please tell me what Iris really is ? And what it has to do with exposure?

2)In many films, I have noticed different lights of different color temperature being used ! I was wondering if this is fine since Dave told that this mixes color temperature in the shot ! Here's some examples of what i noticed.

a)The talent was lit up with the day light temperature, and in the background there was a bridge which was lit up with white lights from below. The talent was standing below and a little ahead from the bridge.
    Is this okay ?

b)A guy sitting in the bar with red lights lit from behind and normal day light lit on his face. On the other side of this guy another guy is sitting and red lights are reflected on his face.

I might have wrong concepts about lights so please help me. I'll be really greatful.

3) What are tracks ? And what's the difference between dolly and tracks ?

4) What are those things called which are like cars and carry camera, they are moveable and they are used while shooting.

Waiting for your kind and helpful answers and suggestions. Thanks.

hey why is no one replying here ? whr r u dave and sc 38 ???? i m waiting plsss helppppp..........................

Blog Entries
    Sorry dude. Sometimes I have to go away for work, I get very busy and don't have any spare time for a while. Right now I've just got home from a very long day at work and I'm absolutely stuffed. I will come back in the morning and reply to as many threads as I can but right now I need sleep.

I can't speak for other people but I suspect they are in the same boat as me - sometimes they can come and answer questions but sometimes they can't. All I can say is please be patient and understand that our schedules vary. Sometimes we have other things that need doing more urgently but we'll always come back to the forum as soon as possible.

Anyway, I'll see you in the morning
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Quote: hassaan_tripod
    I read about Iris in the tutorial section but I dont exactly know what really it is! And do Sony Cameras have these option ? I have got DCR-TRV 18E. Please tell me what Iris really is ? And what it has to do with exposure?
    An iris is an opening. In the lens housing of the camera, the iris is the hole through which light enters the camera. Exposure means the amount of light coming through the iris - if the iris is open wider, more light comes in, the exposure increases and the picture is brighter.

All cameras have an iris, the difference is in how it is controlled. The common types are auto-iris, a small dial on the side of the camera, or a full iris ring on the lens housing (as pictured below).

In many films, I have noticed different lights of different color temperature being used ! I was wondering if this is fine since Dave told that this mixes color temperature in the shot !
    The best rule of lighting is that if it looks fine it is fine. Like many rules, the idea is to learn the rules of lighting and then break them if you need to. Mixed lighting is often used for creative effect.

What are tracks ? And what's the difference between dolly and tracks ?
    As I understand it, the dolly truck is the cart on which the camera sits and travels along the dolly tracks. So I guess you could say the tracks are part of the dolly system. At least this is the terminology I was taught.

What are those things called which are like cars and carry camera, they are moveable and they are used while shooting.
    I'm not sure sorry.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

okey dave im sorry i was being unpatient... i understand !
    and thanks again for yr help.